Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

1BadMac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 27, 2010
Similar to this thread - has anyone found a way to run the old (and more functional Airport Utility on Mavericks?

Senseotech

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2009
NC
Airport Utility 5.6.1 is a no go on Mavericks. Finder shows the typical no-run logo over the icon, and says the version is too old for this OS X. Trying to coax it into running via terminal spits this out

Code:
dyld: Symbol not found: _wlScanAuthenticationModesArray
  Referenced from: /Users/rob/Desktop/AirPort Utility 5.6.1.app/Contents/MacOS/AirPort Utility
  Expected in: /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Apple80211.framework/Versions/A/Apple80211

so it looks like theres an OS level issue preventing it from working.

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
Airport Utility 5.6.1 is a no go on Mavericks. Finder shows the typical no-run logo over the icon, and says the version is too old for this OS X. Trying to coax it into running via terminal spits this out

Code:
  Referenced from: /Users/rob/Desktop/AirPort Utility 5.6.1.app/Contents/MacOS/AirPort Utility
  Expected in: /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Apple80211.framework/Versions/A/Apple80211

Terrible news, to say the least.

eecyclone

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2013
Uh oh. Does this mean I'm going to have to have a parallels virtual machine with ML just to edit settings on my old airport express base stations??

1BadMac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 27, 2010
Uh oh. Does this mean I'm going to have to have a parallels virtual machine with ML just to edit settings on my old airport express base stations??

Appears that way. Although, I've since upgraded to the new AirPort Extreme and 5.6 would not modify (correctly, that is) the new settings for 802.11ac. So...I'll just stick with using 6.3.1 and cross my fingers Apple brings back some of the functionality.

Now, I will point out that connecting with another Mac I have and using 5.6 to read this new device, the output power shows 100% and multicast set on low. That's the way I would have had that setup anyways...

jayhawker

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2013
Olathe, KS
Hack to enable Airport Utility 5.6.1 on Mavericks

Hey folks, I have successfully gotten Airport Utility 5.6.1 to run on Mavericks. When you run the old Airport Utility, the OS complains of a symbol not found. This type of error is typically due to a library having been changed. Upon comparing the library that dyld complains about between ML and Mavericks, its evident that much has changed; the Mavericks version of the library is ~160k smaller. In order to make this work, you will need the library from ML. Here's what you need to do:

1. On your Mavericks machine, rename /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Apple80211.framework/Versions/A/Apple80211 to something like "Apple80211.mavericks" and back it up somewhere safe.
2. Copy the ML version of the Apple80211 library to /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Apple80211.framework/Versions/A/Apple80211 on your Mavericks machine. The file is located in the same place in ML as it is in Mavericks.
3. You can now directly run the old Airport Utility from the terminal by cd'ing to the directory the binary lives in (in my case, "~/airport_utility_561.app/Contents/MacOS/") and running the program (./AirPort\ Utility)

When the program runs, its icon will still have the circle with a slash through it, but hey, it runs and works. I just updated the firmware on my old Airport Extreme and reconfigured it, and wifi on my computer is still working correctly. If your wifi starts acting weird, you can always switch back to the Mavericks version of the library. I hope this helps!

Reactions: codehearted

thirkej

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2012
Nope it doesn't :(

well, no, but the workaround above does work with the final launch version of mavericks.

With a bit of messing around (mainly because I don't understand terminal at all) I got 5.6 running, which is great, since I have 4 old airport expresses providing through the house music...

raftr

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2007
Ireland
With a bit of messing around (mainly because I don't understand terminal at all) I got 5.6 running, which is great, since I have 4 old airport expresses providing through the house music...

This is music to my ears! :) I have a few airport devices I sometimes need to monitor with Airport Utility 5.6, wouldn't be happy to lose it.

MacXperte

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2010
Vienna, Austria
Solved!

I found an even more elegant way to do it without a helper script. I added the old framework to the .app folder itself (under Contents/Frameworks/) and modified Info.plist in a way that:
  • links the framework (using LSEnvironment with DYLD_INSERT_LIBRARIES and the relative path @executable_path/../Frameworks/...) in a portable, self-contained manner;
  • modifies the version to 9.6.1 so that Mavericks will let you launch the app normally and no App updates will be proposed;
  • and shows the modified name "AirPort Utility 5.6" fully localized.
Other than adding the old Apple80211 framework and modifying Info.plist and InfoPlist.strings this is an unaltered AirPort Utility v5.6.1.
Here is a download link to the zipped app, hope it works:
https://docs.google.com/uc?id=0B262SDNMasL5UGpyTTNPeWlYdEU&export=download

Reactions: clik

hamis92

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2007
Finland
I found an even more elegant way to do it without a helper script. I added the old framework to the .app folder itself (under Contents/Frameworks/) and modified Info.plist in a way that:
  • links the framework (using LSEnvironment with DYLD_INSERT_LIBRARIES and the relative path @executable_path/../Frameworks/...) in a portable, self-contained manner;
  • modifies the version to 9.6.1 so that Mavericks will let you launch the app normally and no App updates will be proposed;
  • and shows the modified name "AirPort Utility 5.6" fully localized.
Other than adding the old Apple80211 framework and modifying Info.plist and InfoPlist.strings this is an unaltered AirPort Utility v5.6.1.
Here is a download link to the zipped app, hope it works:
https://docs.google.com/uc?id=0B262SDNMasL5UGpyTTNPeWlYdEU&export=download

On my Mavericks machine it says the app can't be opened because it's damaged. Any ideas?

hamis92

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2007
Finland
Gatekeeper. Go to Sys Prefs, Security and Privacy, then toggle the "Allows Apps downloaded from:" to Anywhere.

I can allow unsigned apps to run by right-clicking and selecting Open despite that setting, but this dialog is different than usual. It has only Cancel and Move to Trash as choices.

Edit: remarkable, doing what you suggested did allow me to open it. Curious, why it didn't work as usual. It seems to remember that the app should be allowed to launch, though, as I re-enabled "Mac App Store and identified developers" and the Utility still launches without further dialogs.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-11-04 at 1.23.20.png
    Screen Shot 2013-11-04 at 1.23.20.png
    52.2 KB · Views: 484

Senseotech

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2009
NC
I can allow unsigned apps to run by right-clicking and selecting Open despite that setting, but this dialog is different than usual. It has only Cancel and Move to Trash as choices.

Edit: remarkable, doing what you suggested did allow me to open it. Curious, why it didn't work as usual. It seems to remember that the app should be allowed to launch, though, as I re-enabled "Mac App Store and identified developers" and the Utility still launches without further dialogs.

It does that because 5.6 itself was signed, but by modifying the contents, its technically not the same application. The warning you received is basically saying "I expected the app to be this, and its not, so it must be broken."

SusanK

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2012

Code:

I have no expertise on this. I read a post on Apple Support Communities a few days ago. The poster was able to install the Windows version on the Mac using Wine.

The post was on the Airport forum. I didn't try it. I use Windows or an iBook to administer my Airport Extreme.

Good luck.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.