run an mpeg2 compression test for me?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Keebler, Apr 16, 2009.

1. Keebler macrumors 68030

Hi folks,

I'm wondering if anyone owning the previous gen mac pro octocore 2.8 would mind running a test for me?

I'd like to know how fast one of these babies can mpeg2 compress 1 hour of standard video (could be a camcorder or VHS transfer) or 1.5 hours if you have that much and need to run a compression.

Ultimate test would be to export to compressor from within fcp using the 5th dvd setting down:

DVD Best Quality 90 Minutes- 4:3 (without the aiff setting - just dolby 2.0 and the mpeg2 6.2 mbps 2-pass).

I just need to know how fast it will zoom zoom compared to my mp 2.66. I know it will be faster, but i'd like to know how much faster :)

Thanks much!
    Keebler

2. TimNiego macrumors newbie

Compressor speed test

Keebler,
    Here's what I got:
    system setup- Jan 08 Mac Pro 8 core 2.8, 8 gb Ram, 320 gb startup drive, 500 gb and 1.4 tb media drives. FCP 6.0.5. Compressor 3.0.5 (note- I had iTunes playing for the first couple of minutes of the compression, but I doubt it took much of the system resources) It did read from the 500gb drive and write to the 320gb drive.

File- 12.15 gb 55 min 12 sec Quicktime video file NTSC DV

Used your settings: DVD 90 best- dolby and 6.2mb two pass compression

Compression time 41:03

How much time did your 2.66 compression test take?

Tim

3. Keebler thread starter macrumors 68030

Hey Thanks Tim!

2006 mp 2.66
    250 GB main HD
    2 x 500 Raided - contains 1 hour 12 sec avi file in FCP exported to the same settings onto a 500 GB internal
    started 8:03 EST - it's still running as of 8:48 and compressor tells me another 16 minutes which is usually accurate

So, just slightly over real time vs a savings of 19 minutes.

if I can sell my powermac G5, I'm biting on a refurb'd octo-2.8 :)

thanks again Tim. I really appreciate. I was going to go into a store, but didn't feel like wasting their time knowing I'm buying a refurb.

compressor was right...finished at 9:04 so 1 hour 1 minute.

19 minutes might not sound like much, but for every 4 hours of footage, I can save an hour. I wonder if that justifies a new purchase...hmmmm....
    Cheers,
    Keebler

4. TimNiego macrumors newbie

Other savings

Keebler,
    Realize that even while compressing the file, you can work in after effects, or motion or export from Quicktime and still not max out the processors.

I've had five consecutive Quicktime conversions going at the same time to and that maxed out the processors.

Tim

5. Keebler thread starter macrumors 68030

hmmmm... This makes me think - r u running 5 mpeg2 conversions @ once and if so, do they run the same speed?

6. nuclearwinter macrumors regular

nuclearwinter

7. Keebler thread starter macrumors 68030

thanks nuclear. I'm reviewing this now. I've always heard of the clusters, but never got them going b/c I thought i needed fcp and compressor on all machines, but I only have a license for 1?

8. nuclearwinter macrumors regular

nuclearwinter

Essentially, creating a Quick Cluster in the Qmaster preference pane allows Compressor to see each core as what amounts to another computer. You don't need more than one computer to create a Quick Cluster. In fact, sometimes its better to use a single computer cluster instead of a multiple computer cluster, especially when the specifications for each computer vary greatly.

Anyway, I commend you for taking a look into this. It is definitely worth it.

9. Keebler thread starter macrumors 68030

thanks! :)

I've run into a small issue already. I'm following the instructions you provided, but when I click on compressor, the 'options for selected service' is grayed out. Both share and managed are clicked. The 'options for...' is not greyed out if i choose rendering, but then I can only choose 'local machine' or ssh. I'm logged into 1 of my other computers, but I can't see it.

i'm such a noob! :)

10. nuclearwinter macrumors regular

nuclearwinter

And...

To set up a simple, unmanaged Quick Cluster, you should

1. Share the computer as: Quick Cluster with services
    2. Only check the Share boxes. Leave the managed boxes unchecked, unless you want to set up a managed cluster with QAdministrator (which you probably don't).

The rest of the tutorial should be correct for you. Click the Start Sharing button and you should be good to go.

And, if I might be so bold as to anticipate another potential issue:

To take advantage of this method of compression, you shouldn't choose
    File > Export > Using Compressor... from Final Cut Pro.

Instead, the appropriate method is to simply choose
    File > Export > Quicktime Movie...

From the subsequent menu, choose
    Setting: Current Settings
    Include: Audio and Video
    Check box: Make Movie Self-Contained

If you can save to a RAID or fast set of hard disk drives, it will export much quicker since the speed of this method is based on hard disk speed, not processors. When the sequence is exported, import the file into Compressor and follow the directions at the link I provided previously. ^^^