Run Android on iPhone...why not?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SeaChange, Jul 6, 2011.

1. SeaChange macrumors regular

If you can run Windows and other OS on Macs why not allow Android and Windows Mobile on iPhone and iPad?

2. walie macrumors 6502a

because if you're not using iOS, you're not using the appstore

3. naths macrumors 6502

I think the fanboys would wet their nappies!!!1...cant have that on my greatest most perfect "i love you no matter"what last years model iphone!!!!!:D

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

5. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

There was an Android on iPhone project and it ran pretty smoothly on the original iPhone, but was kinda choppy on the 3G. The operating system obviously wasn't optimized for the iPhone's hardware and power issues (quick battery drain) were only one of the problems that there was with the project. Also, the Android Market was not available.

Apple allows Windows to be run on Macs because it's intended to run beside OSX and not replace it. Dual booting an operating system on a phone wouldn't be logical space-wise, and things like SMS messages and contacts wouldn't be synced and it would just be a huge mess. It should be a given that Apple wouldn't allow anything else to replace their iOS either. Plus, Apple has the most popular mobile operating system. Why would they allow you to replace it with something they consider "lesser"?

6. jaseone macrumors 65816

jaseone

You can dual boot Android and iOS on at least the 3G and maybe the 3GS now as well, Google bootlace to get the details.

7. Dandrews524 macrumors 6502

heck, why not M-DOS! :cool:

8. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

Yeah, I forgot to mention the 3Gs. It's still not optimized though; not intended to be a replacement for iOS but instead a fun thing to toy around with for a few minutes.

9. AdrianK macrumors 68020

Real shame it never got beyond an early proof-of-concept.

10. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

Excuse me. I'm sorry, I just threw up a little bit in my mouth. :p

11. Biolizard, Jul 6, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2011

Biolizard macrumors 6502

Agree with the sentiments of your post, but had to wring you out on this line. I'd call iOS the most 'desirable' mobile operating system, but it's not the most popular. The most popular smartphone OS is probably still Symbian, likely followed by Android. Not sure how the iPod Touch and iPad changes those figures, but I still doubt it's on top.

Edit: A quick Wikipedia scan suggests that iPhone + iPod + iPad does surpass Android and, given Symbian's age, may surpass current Symbian devices. Willing to admit I could be wrong :)

12. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

Yeah man, I'm just gonna take a stab in the dark and say that with iPod Touch, iPad, and iPhone combined, more people use those than Nokia's.

13. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

Apple is aiming on BlackBerry Messenger with iMessenger in iOS 5.
    What is the killer app of Android?

It is possible to have dual boot, will require something like boot Camp, but to stretch that into Apple fully supporting it, more than a decade have to pass for them to implement it, like it took for Intel and Boot Camp.
    However something like Virtual Machines within iOS...well AppStore rules...jailbreaking might be the way to go for it.

14. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

Because it would be the most laggy PoS ever.

Recommended iOS Specs: 1GHz single core, 512 MB RAM.

Recommended Android Specs: 2.3 GHz i7-2820QM, NVIDIA GTX 590, 8 GB RAM.

15. Vegastouch, Jul 6, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2011

Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

What are you talking about? 2.3 GHz?...lol

Go watch the second video link i posted above you. It is running Froyo on a 3G.

16. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

You're confusing requirements with optimization.

17. sentinelsx macrumors 68010

It's been already run on the iPhone 3G. If you want it on a 3gs/4 you need to help out or stay put. Because there are so many android phones out there it makes little sense for Apple to allow android dual boot on an iPhone.

Besides the OS needs to be optimized for the phone. That's another story.

18. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

If someone really wants Android that badly, they will buy an Android handset as a secondary device.

19. fhqiihcy macrumors newbie

fhqiihcy

20. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Problem with the geek crowd is running android on the iPhone is for no other reason than they can. I used to run Pear PC back on my desktop in 2004 because I could. Really was not funtional but somewhere I have an old screen shot of it saying I am running a 2.25 Ghz G4 iMac. I promise you it was not functional running that on my computer but it was pretty cool doing it.

21. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

Exactly. The Android on iPhone thing would be cool to be able to use steadily but I don't think it could ever be a replacement for iOS on an iPhone.