Run any GPU in OSX on Mac Pro?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Troy2000, Nov 22, 2010.

1. Troy2000 macrumors regular

Troy2000

I realize that what I am about to suggest might sound so absolutely bats**t crazy that most of you will be calling my nearest mental institution, however...

What if we attempted to run Snow Leopard as a Hackintosh system under Bootcamp, using the Chameleon bootloader? It would then be running under the emulated BIOS, and be able to boot non-EFI graphics cards, would it not?

This is totally hypothetical, but I might try it, if it is possible. Bootcamp would be able to boot Chameleon, so I do not see why this could not work.

I'm going to leave the planet now, for the flames will engulf Sol. :D

2. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

Chameleon emulates EFI, not bios.

/end thread

3. neckarb macrumors regular

Yes but doing things the way this guy is suggesting would mean that it would be run through Apple's emulated BIOS, do you need an EFI flashed card in a hackintosh?

4. Troy2000 thread starter macrumors regular

Troy2000

You appear to have misunderstood. I do not suggest that Chameleon will emulate BIOS, but rather that we run Chameleon within Apple's emulated BIOS. This would allow both installation of OS X and Non-EFI cards.

5. neckarb macrumors regular

This is what I thought you meant, in which case it makes for an interesting thought, do you need an EFI flashed card in a hackintosh? hmmm.... If not then I think this should work.

6. Troy2000 thread starter macrumors regular

Troy2000

An EFI-flashed card is not required for a Hackintosh.

7. neckarb macrumors regular

Then theoretically wouldn't this method enable you to use any card with Hackintosh drivers in a Mac Pro...??

8. Troy2000 thread starter macrumors regular

Troy2000

If it works, it should. No obvious problems occur to me. Drivers should not be an issue, as it would be running on native Apple hardware. We should in theory be able to install the OS without any customization.

9. neckarb macrumors regular

This is what I'm thinking, this could be a very do-able (if inelegant) way of getting any GPU to run in OSX, when I buy a 6990 when they are released I'll have a crack at it.

Can you change the name of the thread to something more provocative like "How To: Run any GPU in OSX on Mac Pro?" it should get more people interested in the thread.

10. Troy2000 thread starter macrumors regular

Troy2000

I'm afraid I don't have the ability to change the name of the thread. Could a moderator oblige? :)

11. neckarb macrumors regular

To change the name of the thread go into the Mac Pro forum, double click just to the right of the thread title :)

12. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori