Run application as hidden service

Discussion in 'macOS' started by cvzyl, Mar 2, 2008.

1. cvzyl macrumors newbie

I have a mac mini which I use as a media server, almost like a MediaPC or AppleTV. I have no keyboard or mouse on it as I control it using my remote, however sometimes I do have situations where I need more control over the machine. I have been using Telekinesis with my iPhone in these situations and it works great.

What bothers me is the iPhone Remote icon sitting in the dock. Is there a way to automatically start up an application with OS X and have it run hidden, almost like a service? At the moment I have it as one of my login items but marking it as hidden doesn't remove it from the dock.

Maybe I'm just petty but it really bugs me, I have a very minimalist dock on all my machines and not being able to remove this icon is eating away at me :(

Cobus

2. Cuckoo macrumors 6502

Well, i can't give you an answer, but i've tried to do more or less the same with azureus... and they have on their wiki site a manual which explains how to 'hide' a normal application and have it run as a system service...

i can't find the link right now, but it could work for your problem as well, just replace the azureus program part with your desired program

good luck!

3. cvzyl thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks karenflower, Dock Dodger did the trick!

Thanks for your help.

Cobus

4. karenflower macrumors 6502a

karenflower