Run ATI Graphics All the Time?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by smc333, Mar 15, 2012.

1. smc333 macrumors regular

Hi All,

After numerous problems with my 2010 15" MBP (2.4 i5, 4GB, 320GB 330M), I've convinced Apple to give me a CRU. They gave me the current generation high-end 15" model. They let me do $400 worth of paid upgrades (I pay the difference), and it comes out to the following:

2.4GHz Quad-Core Intel i7
    8GB DDR 1333
    750 GB 7200RPM HDD
    ATI 6770 1GB VRAM
    Hi-Res Antiglare screen.

This machine is pretty awesome and I am excited as I have never had a computer so nice. However, the Intel graphics are still the 3000. If I run the machine plugged in almost all of the time, and when I don't I rarely will need long periods on battery, would it do any harm to disable the automatic graphics switching and just use the ATI all the time? So that the UI animations and all are always smooth. I know on my current machine, when the Intel graphics are on, some things like maximizing quicktime videos or even just some OS animations aren't smooth like they can be on the 330M.

Thanks,
    smc

2. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

Nope, it won't harm anything, just use more power and maybe generate more heat. I run mine on the AMD all of the time (not by choice, but I run the internal monitor and an external and there is no other way on the 15 and 17 models than to run the AMD only as the TB connector is not wired to the internal GPU).

3. Freyqq macrumors 68040

Should be fine, but keep in mind that the intel graphics for that revision have improved over the 2010 model.