Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sirris101

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 9, 2008
I've got a 2008 Mac Pro with 4 internal hard drives that are in a 0+1 software raid. Unfortunately, this prevents me from using Boot camp on any of these drives.

I'm curious, is there a PCIe card that adds eSata ports that would allow me to put Windows XP on an external enclosure that is bootable?

I've been scouring the message boards and forums and have found cards by CalDigit, FirmTek and Sonnet, but I have no idea if any of these will support with Boot Camp/Windows.

I'm not interested in using the on mobo SATA ports because A) they aren't recognized in Windows, and B) I don't want to put a drive up in the CD drive bays (because of the bad airflow).

Any help is appreciated!

WardC

macrumors 68030
Oct 17, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
Tough question. If you are really hellbent on running bootcamp, your best bet would be to go back, start from scratch, and configure a 2-disk RAID-0, and use one of your other disks, or a partitioned part of one of those disks as your bootcamp partition. I don't know anything as far as running bootcamp off a RAID setup.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.