run cs4 off an external hard drive?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by emirae1091, Apr 29, 2010.

1. emirae1091 macrumors newbie

hi all.

im considering upgrading to snow leopard, and i was thinking to save space maybe i could install my cs4 on an external? i wasnt sure if this was possible because of the software, much less speed issues. i'm assuming i'd have to use a firewire, and im looking to get a 1tb external.

any advice would be appreciated!

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

With CS4 that might not be possible. How many GBs are you talking about? Ten or more like a 100GBs?

I might stand corrected, if Hellhammer is right.

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Yes, you an do that but you will get a lot beachballing and slowdowns as externals are much slower due FW800 and USB. Snow Leopard will free up space anyway and you're better off moving your pics and other files to external instead of apps

4. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

I have the demo version of Dreamweaver installed on my USB external. I first thought performance was going to be dire, but I was surprised. I can't speak for the other CS4 apps.

5. emirae1091 thread starter macrumors newbie

1tb (so 1000 gb) or i already have a 200gb one, but its mostly full of pictures, etc. i have a LOT of music, and dont really keep any personal files (pictures, etc) other than that on my laptop hard drive.

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Well, I would keep all media files (pics, music, vids) in externals and apps in internal as then apps launch fast and are responsive but you won't notice much difference when working on them or watching them.

1TB is a decent deal IMO

7. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

From CS3 version (AFAIR), if you want to install entire suite, installer needs to place some files on system disk. You'll should be able to install main program files on external, but others (about 2 GB in case of CS3) must be on system drive.
    Besides, as written above, it's bad idea performance wise.