Run .exe

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Reel Big Austin, Sep 18, 2008.

1. Reel Big Austin macrumors newbie

Hey, I have a macbook pro and would like to run programs with a .exe extension, I thought you could run pc programs on a mac without having to download or do anything but apparently I was mistaken, but I know it's possible. What program can I download so I can run pc programs?

Thanks

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You can either run Boot Camp or Parallels or VMWare to run Windows programs. Windows .exe files do not run in native Mac OS X.

3. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

what type of .exe is it? if its a Unix .exe you can run it in Terminal using "./name_of_program.exe. if its a Windows .exe you need to run it in a Windows environment using either Boot Camp or virtualisation such as Parallels or Vmware Fusion. theres also Crossover may run the .exe but Boot Camp or virtualisation will always outperform.

4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Additional .exe files you can run, are the self extracting archives.

This is only because there are some applications (can't remember which ones) that look inside past the .exe wrapper to unpack the files.

--

If you want to run PC files, you still need to do something for that pesky Windows problem.

The Mac can run Windows, there are several methods to do this, but Apple doesn't include Windows in the box.

5. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

The Unarchiver.

6. Reel Big Austin thread starter macrumors newbie

I actually tried downloading crossover ages ago but an error keeps popping up when I use it saying "To complete the installation of crossover, please insert the Mac OS X install Disc 1 that came with your intel-based mac"

their is also an option to use it without putting in that disk but I'm not sure if the quality of the program will be at it's best, or does it not matter? I have no idea where I put that CD.

Where can you download bootcamp btw?

7. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

It's included with every copy of Leopard. It's in the Utilities folder.