Run Games on OSX or Win7?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Randizzledante, May 24, 2011.

1. Randizzledante macrumors regular

Randizzledante

Hey there. Just ordered my first MBP (15"/high end), looking forward to getting it within the next few days. I plan on doing many things with it, including some moderate gaming.

I noticed many of the Steam games I currently own are also available on the Mac App Store. Also, I do own a copy of Win7 I can bootcamp on to the MBP when it gets here.

Performance wise, should I just install Win7 and continue to use Steam? Or will OS X versions of the games run any better (or, for what matter, worse)?

Any help is appreciated!

2. JasonR macrumors 6502a

JasonR

From what I've read games run better on Windows 7. I have Windows 7 installed via boot camp on both of my machines...and they both run great. I prefer OS X for everything else...except for those pesky business apps who don't have a good mac version/alternative.

3. Randizzledante thread starter macrumors regular

Randizzledante

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

Hmm ok good to know. I'll probably just bootcamp if then :)

4. Bending Pixels macrumors 65816

I've run several (mostly LucasArts) games under OSX, and they run just fine. Personally, if the game's ported to OSX, great. If it's not, then I don't need it.

5. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Windows 7 for sure. Some games have been really well converted to OSX (Worms Reloaded), but every other Steamplay game I own runs much better on Windows.

+the ability to update drivers as soon as they're available and soft overclocking options.

You've no idea the fun you're missing out on.

6. Randizzledante thread starter macrumors regular

Randizzledante

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

Alright, this pretty much confirms what I already thought anyway, so Win7 it is!

Now, how much disk space to partition...

7. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Go for 100 gigs! It's plenty!

8. Randizzledante thread starter macrumors regular

Randizzledante

Mmm sounds about right to me! TYVM ;)

9. Bending Pixels macrumors 65816

Note to Dagless - Photoshop is my favorite game :D

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

There are more games for windows, they come to windows long before a small percentage actually make it to OSX and they're generally cheaper on windows as well. All point to the fact that windows is a better platform for games.