Run iTunes Across Multiple User Accounts

Discussion in 'macOS' started by thomasandrews, May 30, 2010.

1. thomasandrews macrumors newbie

I currently have itunes on two accounts set to access a library at /Users/shared/iTunes/. The problem is if iTunes is running on one account and I try to launch it on the other, it gives an error saying it doesn't have write access. It needs to stay running on one for my appletv. Is there a way to start it and have all accounts have access to it as a single process? Run it as root?

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

There is an old trick involving access control lists...

http://ad.hominem.org/log/2005/07/acl.php

(The link discusses iPhoto, but the concept is the same)... I thought this trick was sort of deprecated (there's now an official Apple KB on this, and it doesn't require ACL modifications). I don't know if it would work for sure, but it might be worth a try.

The second problem that you run into is that some of the XML files that are used to maintain some aspects of library metadata are getting checked out by one account or another. This is probably a more serious problem -- even if you overcome the fact that one of the accounts that has left iTunes running has this file open, you're probably going to run a risk of corrupting it repeatedly by having two instances of iTunes write to it....

3. thomasandrews thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, but...

These explain how to set up access to itunes from several accounts. I have already done this (by holding option at itunes launch and pointing it towards the shared library). what i am trying to do is, solve the error that occurs when two ituneses are reading from the same library. This happens when iTunes A is connected to an appletv, and itunes B tries to start. So let me rephrase my question, is there a way to have a single iTunes process (possibly running as root) that is available to all accounts, like the loginwindow.

4. kungfumonkey macrumors newbie

Not having write access could mean that you should check your group settings and add all your accounts to the directories you are trying to access. You can have multiple "accounts" on a single group and apply group permissions to your data from there. OR you can just remove the security settings on that shared library directory.

On your machine where the files are, highlight the directory by clicking it once and hit Command-i. Near the bottom, if you need to then click the lock to authenticate yourself. Change "Everyone" to Read & Write. If there is no "Everyone", click the little plus sign below the list and add "Everyone", Read & Write, to it so all your iTunes' can change the files around and import new ones, etc. DO NOT lock yourself out of the directory. "Everyone" needs at least Read access and "your login name" needs Read & Write access. If your Apple TV is on the same network you can add "Staff", Read & Write, to the list of permissions. I believe it would make sense for an Apple TV to be a Staff member... but I don't have an Apple TV..

It could also mean your main bootable partition is low on free space. My mac craps out at about 1 Gig of free space left on my main drive and starts giving me Finder and Terminal error feedback, depending on which "window" has focus while I'm "working"...

5. thomasandrews thread starter macrumors newbie

Not permissions or HD space

It's not permissions, because it only gives the error if itunes is running on the other account. And it is not HD space because I have ~400GB available on my imac.

6. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

I may be wrong, but holding option at start allows you to create a new library. This, I don't think, is the same as sharing a library.

I found this thread because I'm looking to do the same thing, but I'm away from my Mac right now so i can't experiment. I will update when I check it out.

7. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Why don't you just share your library from the primary account?

8. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

It is that easy, right? No need to create a separate library?