Run Jaguar on an Intel Mac

Discussion in 'macOS' started by thesdx, Feb 16, 2008.

1. thesdx macrumors 6502a

I found a copy of Jaguar, and was wondering if there was a PowerPC emulator I could use to run it on an Intel iMac. PearPC doesn't run in OS X and is hard to setup, and SheepShaver can only run OS 9 and below. Is there some way to do this?

2. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

I can't think of anyway of doing it.

Apple will have in their vaults somewhere a copy of Jaguar complied for Intel (just as they have for every version of Mac OS X), but it wouldn't have all the drivers for your machine.

3. one1 macrumors 65816

if we can run windblows on a mac, we can surely find a way to run mac on a mac.

Good luck!

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Yes. Break into Apple headquarters in Cupertino and steal the never-released Intel version of Jaguar. Otherwise, the OP is SOL.

5. marsmissions macrumors 6502

marsmissions

No and no. Rosetta has nothing to do with running operating systems and a hackintosh can only run intel operating systems.

Either way, jaguar sucked. Give up the dream. There are no PPC emulators available to run OS X, however if you wanted to try running OS 9 you could use SheepShaver. But OS X can't be installed in sheepshaver, only 7, 8 and 9. You may also be able to pickup a cheap ass imac to install it on at a thrift store.

6. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

Thanks! That is a good idea!

7. benwiggy macrumors 68020

Holy thread necromancy, Batman! I presume in the nearly five years since this question was asked, the OP has addressed the problem somehow.

Old versions of OS X were designed to run on completely different CPU architecture -- PPC, not Intel -- and so can't be emulated. Rosetta, which allows PPC apps to run on Intel, requires an Intel OS underneath it, and only works for apps, not for the deep OS components. Finally, earlier versions of OS X don't have the drivers for newer hardware.

But my first question is really: why would you want to? If it's just to run some app, I'm sure there's an alternative.

8. jill1567 macrumors newbie

IT IS POSSIBLE!! Pear pc is easy to set up no hacking you need a dmg or iso of jaguar simple. fast 1920 by 1080 full screen HD w internet can run on windows but can partition the newest of newest intel mac with windows.