Run Keynote show and a second app on two different diaplays?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by rsummers, Jun 15, 2010.

1. rsummers macrumors newbie

I'm running two displays not mirrored. I'm trying to run Keynote on the projector display and Ableton Live on my laptop display. How can I show a Keynote slide show on one display and still use Ableton on the other display?

Keynote Preferences - Allow Dashboard, Expose', and others to use screen isn't working. It only allows you to run the dashboard on the presenter display, but not view another app. Presenter Display preferences are all unchecked. Even with this, the presenter screen is just black - very helpful. :b

Is there an app somewhere for allowing this?
    Also, I have to be able to run the slide show because it includes streaming video and I want the transitions. I don't want to just "view" Keynote on the second screen.

Much obliged!

2. ahhyeah macrumors newbie

ahhyeah

I'm also looking for a solution for this. I'm looking to run two 40" displays of a Mac mini running either two different Keynote's or a Keynote and a video. With the new Lion feature, full screen on any app blanks the second screen. Keynote also blacks the second screen during display...

3. nastebu, Sep 26, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2011

nastebu macrumors 6502

Can't you just render the Keynote presentation into Quicktime and run it full screen (the application's full screen, not Lion's) in the one window while the video runs in another? You would have all your transitions and control over advancements. The only drawbacks are that you wouldn't be able to use presenter view, and you couldn't change the presentation on the fly.

4. rsummers thread starter macrumors newbie

...and the whole point of running it with Ableton Live is to do things on the fly. :)
    Thanks anyway.

5. nastebu macrumors 6502

ahhyea, this should still work for you.

rsummers: You could still page back and forth through the slides. You just couldn't edit them. I suppose I don't understand what you're trying to do.

6. ahhyeah macrumors newbie

ahhyeah

I've tried this also and when I full screen QuickTime player, it blacks the second screen. I know for a fact in Snow Leopard it works to full screen two diffent movies on two different screens and loop them.

Here's three solutions I've thought of but don't know how to actually do them.
    1. Hack QuickTime player to revert to the old full screen instead of Lion full screen. Or use QuickTime 7?
    2. Hack Keynote to stop blacking the second screen. I've successfully have two Keynote applications running with two files open with one set to display on the primary screen and one on the second screen. The problems is keynote blacks the other screen once it's running.
    3. Disable Lion's full screen completely system wide and revert to old full screen. Or stop it from blanking the other screen.

Anyone know how to do any of those? I've been to the Apple Store and they were no help. I'd pay for an app at this point!

7. DocNo macrumors member

DocNo

Not sure what you mean by "transitions" - if a fade between videos works then this will work for you. If you are using one of the fancy effects transitions between slides, then this won't work since they only offer a fade transition when switching - try looking at ProPresenter from RenewedVisioin:

http://renewedvision.com

It's designed for live, on the fly, operation. You can fully edit and change things around WHILE doing a live presentation. Heck, I've had someone changing slides for a song with the ProRemote iPhone app, while the song was being sung, and I was fixing something in later slides that I had just noticed was out of whack.

It's pretty intense. It's also $300 so depending on your needs it may be overkill - but for live events I wouldn't try to use PowerPoint or Keynote. Too inflexible and definitely not meant for on the fly work.

They do have a fully functional free version for download - if nothing else download it and try it out. If you need to pump video from Ableton or other software like Skype, check out the Skype question in their FAQs for using Camtwist to capture and pipe video into their Live Video function - it works great!