Run Macbook Pro without Battery and Hard Drive

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by drtanz, Apr 30, 2014.

1. drtanz macrumors member

I had tea spilled on my Macbook Pro, after cleaning and leaving to dry for two days I'm ready to try it out again and see if it still works. Right now I've got the bottom open and have the battery and the hard drive removed. Can I connect it to the power supply as it is just to test if it powers on? If it powers on I would then switch off again to install the battery and drive back and close it off.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

It will try to boot up w/o the hard drive but since none is there it won't get beyond the POST.

The lack of battery will mean it will be running at 1/2 speed, but I guess that's enough for you to see if it turns on.

3. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Yep "success" will be a folder with a "?" on it as you have no boot drive....

4. drtanz thread starter macrumors member

Thanks that's good enough for now, I already tested the hard drive by attaching it to another mac, its perfectly fine and I also cloned it just in case. What I want to test is that the mac actually turns and there were no shorts, and all features (keyboard, trackpad etc) work fine again.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

With the blinking question mark, I'm not sure you'll be able to test the track pad.

6. drtanz thread starter macrumors member

Yes of course that's right, I'll have to insert the drive for that.