Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Csmitte

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2007
Don't pay so much attention to the battery; it's going to die whether you use it or not. Enjoy it!
It's not worth running your laptop at 1ghz in order to squeeze a few more cycles out of the battery.

Well said I think if the battery was meant to be left out well then you'd just have an iMac?

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
MacBook Pro 17" Santa Rosa
Default energy settings for all tests. Geekbench.

OS X
3233 Plugged in, with battery
3211 Battery power
1763 Plugged in, no battery

Windows XP
2671 Plugged in, with battery
Yes I was surprised, I rebooted windows and tried a few different times.

Yes, it's slower, not exactly 50%. Keep in mind that MacBook Pro running on BATTERY POWER is faster than windows xp plugged-in with both battery.

For those looking for every minute detail to say Macs are crippled, if you bought some apple stock at $18, then I suspect you will probably have the top of the line MBP 17".

peejer

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2007
TN
Along these battery lines...

If one wanted a new battery b/c their laptop (MBP 15" intel 2.16 GHz, OS X 10.4.11) with 309 cycles at 80% runs about 2 hrs on battery, what battery brand would you buy?

I see that Fast Tech has a replacement battery that claims to have extended power. Any truth to that?

Thanks,

otispunkmeyer

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2007
Middlesbrough UK
That can't be true, the power adapter has to have enough power run the computer at full without help from the batter.

Think about it, you can charge the battery and use the computer at full speed at the same time. That means that the power adapter CAN supply MORE power than the laptop needs.

However, I wouldn't run without a battery because it would be playing with fire. If you pull the cord (easy to do with Magsafe) your computer shuts off like a power outage to a desktop. Not my idea of a good way to take care of your computer.

its got to be borderline then

the mag safes are what? 85watts? (mine is but its the larger one)

just add it up, Dual Core CPU, Graphics chip, north bridge, hard drive, monitor + back lighting, WiFi, bluetooth, USB ports (if theyre in use, and they have to supply 500mA at 5v too), super drive ... etc

if that was a standard desktop computer, you'd probably have at least a 400W quality PSU in there.

the new penryn chips are given a 25w TDP, but the larger (65nm) meroms must be higher than that, around 30-35w surely.

that leaves you with 50-60watts left to power everything else, and a quick google seems to put the 8600GT's TDP somewhere around the 40watts mark.

so depending on your CPU, you could easily eat up to 70-75watts or more just with 2 chips. doesnt leave you with much to play with does it? you got the northbridge, ram, hard disk, wifi modules and other ancilaries to power up.

so i can see how the adapter just cant fully power the machine on its own

im pretty sure as well, that alot of manufactures do this, take a look at some dell PSU's, theyre only 70 odd watts.... i think to actually make a reliable PSU, that can also fully power todays notebooks (which have to be said are pretty powerful as their spec's can easily be compared to full desktop systems) , without getting too hot or with out being so large in size that transporting it is a chore (because mobility is one of the reasons you buy a notebook) must be a pretty difficult task.

just look at the XBOX 360's PSU, its only 185 watts (ish) and its the size of a house brick, gets pretty hot and last i checked wasnt the most reliable piece of kit (depending on where it was placed). you wouldnt wanna lug that around with you thats for sure, but something of that calibre is probably what you need to reliably run a modern, high power notebook off the mains without battery assisstance.

Fabiano

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2008
Palmas, Brazil
My current 4 year old laptop has about 2 minutes of battery life, and the battery is only every used once in a blue moon. So to save the battery when I got my MBP, this time I was going to remove it unless I needed it. This sucks big time!!

Dont expect that keeping off the batery of the laptop wil make it last as long as 4 years. it will die in this time, you can even put it on the fridge and rescue it 4 years later, doesnt make any diference. What keeps the battery alive is the constant cicles.

its got to be borderline then

the mag safes are what? 85watts? (mine is but its the larger one)

just add it up, Dual Core CPU, Graphics chip, north bridge, hard drive, monitor + back lighting, WiFi, bluetooth, USB ports (if theyre in use, and they have to supply 500mA at 5v too), super drive ... etc

if that was a standard desktop computer, you'd probably have at least a 400W quality PSU in there.

the new penryn chips are given a 25w TDP, but the larger (65nm) meroms must be higher than that, around 30-35w surely.

that leaves you with 50-60watts left to power everything else, and a quick google seems to put the 8600GT's TDP somewhere around the 40watts mark.

so depending on your CPU, you could easily eat up to 70-75watts or more just with 2 chips. doesnt leave you with much to play with does it? you got the northbridge, ram, hard disk, wifi modules and other ancilaries to power up.

so i can see how the adapter just cant fully power the machine on its own

im pretty sure as well, that alot of manufactures do this, take a look at some dell PSU's, theyre only 70 odd watts.... i think to actually make a reliable PSU, that can also fully power todays notebooks (which have to be said are pretty powerful as their spec's can easily be compared to full desktop systems) , without getting too hot or with out being so large in size that transporting it is a chore (because mobility is one of the reasons you buy a notebook) must be a pretty difficult task.

just look at the XBOX 360's PSU, its only 185 watts (ish) and its the size of a house brick, gets pretty hot and last i checked wasnt the most reliable piece of kit (depending on where it was placed). you wouldnt wanna lug that around with you thats for sure, but something of that calibre is probably what you need to reliably run a modern, high power notebook off the mains without battery assisstance.

I can be wrong but, I think that TDP (Thermal Design Power) is the amount of heat a CHIP can spread, and not the amount of power it consumes... for exemple, 25W of a Penryn, is how much thermal power it can produce, Its not related to how much power it needs to work. Is that right?

otispunkmeyer

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2007
Middlesbrough UK
Dont expect that keeping off the batery of the laptop wil make it last as long as 4 years. it will die in this time, you can even put it on the fridge and rescue it 4 years later, doesnt make any diference. What keeps the battery alive is the constant cicles.

I can be wrong but, I think that TDP (Thermal Design Power) is the amount of heat a CHIP can spread, and not the amount of power it consumes... for exemple, 25W of a Penryn, is how much thermal power it can produce, Its not related to how much power it needs to work. Is that right?

actually yeah you probably are right the T in TDP is likely in reference to temperature. but as with all things relating to energy, since it cannot be created nor destroyed, i assume you can use it as a guide to the power draw of the chip. afterall if it can produce 25watts of heat then surely the chip itself is drawing at least that much just to operate.

ThirteenXIII

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2008
sounds pretty dangerous without the battery....

and it makes sense it would deflate the over all power 85W power adapter compared to the capable battery or a computers 500W+ PSU?

makes no sense how it could handle all the internals with a 85w adapter.

besides what are you gonna do if you accidently move your computer or bump the cable it and detaches?
talk about a huge risk to your internal components.

instead of worrying about the battery, invest in a spare backup.
regardless theyre priceless in any situation.

Winter Charm

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2008
since I use my macbook pro primarily as a desktop replacement, is it possible to run it without the battery therefore saving the health of the battery???

its not worth it, you might be able to squeeze about 5-10 more cycles out of it, but to cripple your laptop to running at 1/2 speed, its not worth it... average MBP battery life is about 5000 cycles -- that means u can charge it about 5000 times from 0% all the way to 100% and then, it will wear out enough that it only holds 80% of the original charge that it did when it was new. 5000 is a LOT - if you charge it once every day, it will last almost 8 years...:eek: that's a LOT for a battery!!!!

you can go to http://www.apple.com/batteries for more info

also, i found this on the page that i mentioned -

"Exercise Your Machine
Lithium-ion batteries need to be used for maximum performance. If you don’t use your device often, be sure to complete a charge cycle at least once a month. Click the links below to add regular reminders to your iCal calendar."

that's what apple says - charge atleast once a month to keep battery healthy!!!!

otispunkmeyer

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2007
Middlesbrough UK
sounds pretty dangerous without the battery....

and it makes sense it would deflate the over all power 85W power adapter compared to the capable battery or a computers 500W+ PSU?

makes no sense how it could handle all the internals with a 85w adapter.

besides what are you gonna do if you accidently move your computer or bump the cable it and detaches?
talk about a huge risk to your internal components.

instead of worrying about the battery, invest in a spare backup.
regardless theyre priceless in any situation.

agreed

the PSU's really are a trade off of size/shape/weight to power and efficiency.
the laptop is meant to be portable, but to do that all its accessories must be portable as well. so they gotta make a PSU thats easy to carry (and the mag safe is probably one of the best at this IMO) and can provide as much juice as possible without flaking out or melting down.

like i said, to run the MBP at full speed just off of the PSU you'd need something akin to the XBOX 360's psu....and i challenge anyone who says they'd like to carry a house brick around with them all day. you just wouldnt.

the MBP's really arent aimed at DTR.... a proper DTR is those 20inch monsters that weigh in at a good 5-6kg on their own. they have monster cpu's which are barely disguised desktop pars, powerful gpu's..usually 2 of, big hard drives and full size keyboards with room to spare

those come with house bricks, only because 1) they definately need it 2) no one in their right mind would chose to transport one frequently, if at all.

thecoolster4

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2011
Simplicities

You guys are thinking way too hard about this dilemma...
I bought a 13 inch aluminum unibody MacBook in winter 08, spilled on the keypad completely killing the battery and the ports the battery connects to. (a different battery will not work). To this day, the MacBook works at 100%. Whether the *dead* battery is installed or not. No brownouts, no power surges, no slowing of the processor even while playing games...
Occam's Razor. An object connected to a power supply, WILL run to it's fullest extent with the power supplied to it...

dgitalchaos

macrumors member
Mar 2, 2011
2011 MacBook Pro runs WAY slower without battery.

I had a power spike yesterday and I think it fried my battery. I have a 2011 2.2 MacBook Pro and my previous GeekBench scores were in the 11000 range. I just tested it now since reading this forum, and here are the results:

That is about 75% power loss!

And here is the XBench tests (without the threading test since it doesn't run)...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2011-09-28 at 7.54.07 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2011-09-28 at 7.54.07 AM.png
    338.2 KB · Views: 239
  • Screen Shot 2011-09-28 at 7.45.08 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2011-09-28 at 7.45.08 AM.png
    174.5 KB · Views: 233
Last edited:

Vivekanand B V

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2023
I might be a LITTLE late for the discussion but does it still run at half its processing power if you’re running a Debian or some other Linux on it? I recently put debian on my MacBook 2,1 just to play around with it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.