Run MBP with it closed ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ErvS, Jan 30, 2011.

1. ErvS macrumors newbie

Hi all, Just signed up here. I am getting into taking a lot of pictures. I have a eye-fi card in the camera that sends my pictures to iphoto as I shoot them. Is there a way to to keep the MBP running when it is closed? I would like to keep it in the camera bag while I take pictures. That way it stays safe and out of the elements . I do most of my shooting outside.
    Thanks for any help.
    Erv

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, you can, with InsomniaX, but I don't recommend it, as leaving it in the bag will block the air vents at the rear, near the hinge and your MBP could overheat. If you simply close the lid and let it sleep, you can safely keep it in the bag without overheating issues.

3. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

If these computers get too hot, they automatically go to sleep, or shut down. Depending on how InsomniaX works, it could stop this from happening, which would be very bad.

You're not doing anything particularly hardware stressing, so I can't imagine you'll have a problem with heat though, especially if you take it out every now and again to check on it.

I expect the biggest problem would be that your hard disk will keep locking and unlocking as you walk. That could cause problems for you.

4. karohan macrumors 6502

Also InsomniaX doesn't work with Snow Leopard for some reason (at least I could not for the life of me get it to work). You would have to buy a program called Sleepless, which does the same thing.

5. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

InsomniaX works with Snow Leopard on my MBP ... however as GGJstudios has pointed out ... I would not use it inside of a bag.

6. ZilogZ80 macrumors 6502a

or use Caffeine, which is free (and available on the mac AppStore)

I would never, ever recommend running your MBP in a closed bag where it has zero airflow though, no matter how "light" the tasks you are doing

7. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

There's a new version out. Haven't tried it though, but it claims to be compatible with SL.

P.S. Caffeine isn't nearly as good. InsomniaX lets you hibernate, or just turn off the screen. Caffeine does neither. I think I might try InsomniaX again after all.
    P.P.S. Caffeine does look much better though.

8. ZilogZ80 macrumors 6502a

Didn't realise Caffeine wouldn't turn the screen off automatically. then again, I always turn it off manually (or dim it right down to nothing) before shutting the case (with caffeine activated)

9. ErvS thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks everyone! I will try both of those to see which one works. As far as over heating, my camera bag has a webed side pocket on it. Thanks to the wife, she sewed it on for me. Made it really good so it would hold the weight of the old MB I used. After I am done playing with the camera it goes inside to a padded pocket.
    Again, thank you for the info.
    Erv

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Caffeine won't keep the Mac from sleeping when the lid is closed, but InsomniaX will.