Run multiple VMs on one Windows license

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by glenthompson, Sep 24, 2013.

1. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

Using Parallels, is it possible and legal to configure multiple virtual machines using a single Windows license? I want to set up a test and production environment so I can try different configurations. It's likely that I will slo blow away the test environment and recreate it from time to time. I would prefer not to have to go through a lot of hassle when re-installing.

2. MJL macrumors 6502a

I run windows in bootcamp (reboot) 24/5 and 24/2 OS X. I normally install only once the OS, apply standard patches, activate and then do a partition image with Winclone. Afterwards I install the software I use and make a new partition image. After running it for a while I get a number of things I want to change so I backup the data with Backu4All Pro then do a restore with Winclone, apply the changes, updates etc and make a new backup before restoring the data with Backup4All.

I suspect it will be no different if you have bootcamp natively inside OS X with Parallels or even VMware: make a backup of the freshly installed OS and then do your things afterwards.

3. glenthompson thread starter macrumors 68000

glenthompson

Thanks, when I wrote this last night I wasn't thinking in that mode. After reading some info on Parallels site, they have a utility to clone your VM. This will allow me to configure the Windows machine the way I want then make a clone for testing.