Run non apple supported video cards in boot camp?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by bupsy, Apr 12, 2008.

1. bupsy macrumors newbie

Would it be possible to to stick any of these high end pc graphics cards into my mac pro and have it as my main graphics card under boot camp? in other words, can i run non apple supported hardware in bootcamp exclusively?

2. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

This has been severely covered. Do a search. Short answer,yes, with the right power cable for the card.

3. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

Its easy with a hackintosh but on a real mac I think you have to flash the card to be compatible with EFI, rom flashing can be dangerous since if you mess up youll brick it permanently, it also limits your selection of cards since not many can be flashed for mac use.

4. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

Wrong. They are asking for running the card exclusively in boot camp. You don't need to flash for that.

5. bupsy thread starter macrumors newbie

Let me clarify, I use boot camp primarily for gaming and my geforce 7300gt is not cutting it with these high end games. I would like to get more graphics performance in boot camp and boot camp only. And I would rather use a card that I already own from another PC than spend close to 400 dollars on an upgrade kit.

6. bupsy thread starter macrumors newbie

well actually i just found the answer to my question via anandtech

Apple's Mac Pro - Upgrading CPUs, Memory & Running XP

"With Windows XP now working at full speed on the Mac Pro, we run into another hurdle in making the Mac Pro the perfect XP/OS X workstation: the video card. Apple only offers three video card options for the Mac Pro: a GeForce 7300 GT, Quadro FX 4500 and a Radeon X1900 XT. The problem is that the first option is a fairly low end GPU, and the remaining two are fairly expensive upgrades at $499 and $399 respectively. It would be much nicer if we could simply use a PC video card in the system, as it would greatly expand the possibilities for upgrades and do so at much better prices.

PC video cards will actually work in the Mac Pro under Windows XP, they will not however work under OS X or during any of the pre-boot period of starting the machine (e.g. you will not be able to see the startup disk selection screen if you hold down the Option key while the system starts). If you install a PC video card in the Mac Pro you'll simply get a black screen until Windows starts loading, at which point everything will look normal. We used this fact to our benefit by running all of our Windows XP game tests with a regular ATI Radeon X1900 XTX. Interestingly enough, when we tried to use a Radeon X1900 XT 256MB, we got a lot of display corruption as you can see from the screenshot below:"
    :D:D:D