Run Tiger In Leopard?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by John Doe 57, Mar 9, 2008.

1. John Doe 57 macrumors 65816

John Doe 57

Some of my games don't fully work in Leopard. (SimCity 4) I was wondering if I could get some help on how to "partition" my hard drive so that I can run Tiger and Leopard.

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

If your computer came with Leopard, then you will NOT be able to install Tiger on it. If it came with Tiger (or earlier), then you're in luck. Unfortunately, the Mac OS doesn't support "live" partitioning except through Boot Camp, so what you'll have to do is this:
    1. Create a full backup of your system, either via Time Machine or with a disk cloning program such as Carbon Copy Cloner (I'd recommend SuperDuper! but it's not Leopard-compatible yet).
    2. Boot your system from the clone (if you made one) or the Leopard install DVD (if you didn't).
    3. Open up Disk Utility and partition your drive. Note: This requires erasing the drive - that's why you made a backup.
    4. If you cloned your system, clone it back to the Leopard partition. If you used Time Machine, reinstall Mac OS X then, when prompted, choose to restore your system from the Time Machine backup.
    5. Install Tiger on the other partition.

3. karenflower macrumors 6502a

karenflower

Actually, Leopard does support live partitioning. If you want to make a backup just in case, feel free, but you can just open up Disk Utility, select your hard drive and click Partition.

I see no reason why you couldn't install Tiger if you have a CD. :confused:

4. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Yes, it does... BUT Leopard must still erase the disk to change its partition map, at least according to Disk Utility. Hence the advice I gave above. :(