Run to buy the current Macbooks...

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by snowboarder, Apr 7, 2008.

1. snowboarder macrumors 6502

2. kuwisdelu macrumors 65816

From what I hear, the MacBook Airs are working pretty well...

Of course there are duds, but if you ask, Apple will replace them. Lots of happy campers in the MBA subforum.

Personally, I hope it's true. I can't wait to get my hands on a MacBook/MacBook Pro redesign.

3. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Care to elaborate?
    :confused::confused:
    I mean there are isolated problems… but fiasco? ;) :rolleyes:

4. tmelvin macrumors 6502

tmelvin

I'm between a rock and a hard place myself. I'd love to get a refurb Macbook, because they're cheap. But I also would rather it be of the "Aluminum" variety vs. the white plastic.

What to do...what to do...:confused:

5. snowboarder thread starter macrumors 6502

Not sure what you hear, but I wanted to buy one and quickly discover
    there are some major design flaws. It overheats, shuts down one core
    and the fan runs full speed even when watching youtube...
    I ended up buying a Macbook and waiting for at least RevC before I buy a MBA.
    You can expect pretty much the same from the new "redesigned" Macbooks.

6. Halon X macrumors regular

Any ideas when I'll be winning the lottery?

7. kuwisdelu macrumors 65816

Just like the MacBook Pros' batteries only last two hours, they overheat, never wake from sleep, and all MacBooks hard drives inevitably die.

There are duds. If someone ends up with one and doesn't return it for a better one, they're an idiot. End of story.

8. freebooter macrumors 65816

freebooter

I had a Macbook, C2D. I liked everything except the screen--what a piece of manure. It rendered the machine unusable for photographic editing (or even watching videos).
    I'm in no hurry to repeat that disaster.

Bring on the new Macbook!

9. Nicolecat macrumors 6502a

Nicolecat

Yeah...I don't think I would even consider it until they can figure a way to put an optical drive in the little guys.

If they ever do that...Competition would practically be obsolete.

I know that I'd be sold from day one...because I don't want to buy a laptop for the convenient size and lug around an external optical drive. What good is that?
    I mean, seriously.

10. forafireescape macrumors 6502a

forafireescape

I didn't think the MBA had recurring serious issues...I thought there were just some isolated incidents. This makes it sound like they're all pieces of crap.

11. snowboarder thread starter macrumors 6502

They are not isolated. Fan running 6200 RPM is reported by everybody.
    Apple doesn't know how to respond, some Apple genius guys are telling
    people it's a "feature". Yeah, watching youtube is such a complicated task
    that MBA needs to run fan full speed and shut one core down...

12. Nicolecat macrumors 6502a

Nicolecat

I wouldn't say piece of crap...

maybe glorified internet browser. :p

JK. I think it was a wonderful idea...and it is very useful to some.
    Just, not very practical for someone in the design industry I would have to say.
    ...I could see it not being so practical for someone into intensive gaming either.
    ...or program whores. :eek:

13. aristobrat macrumors G4

Watching YouTube involves flash. Adobes version of Flash for OS X uses way more CPU than it does on Windows. More CPU = more heat. The Air is the first Apple notebook I've owned that I can comfortably use on my lap. So if the fan has to run at full blast (which, by the way, is way more quiet than my MacBook Pro running at full blast) to keep it cool when doing CPU intensive things (like running Flash), then so-be-it. This is the first Apple notebook that I haven't had to change Apple's default fan behavior with by installing smcFanControl.

Oh, and the one core shutting down thing is NOT being reported by everyone.

14. snowboarder thread starter macrumors 6502

Look, it's not about bashing MBA. I love the concept and form, hate
    execution. I think that is enough to suspect the execution of rev A
    new Macbooks and MBP will suffer from the same. It's been always
    a problem with Apple, rev A of many products were horrible.
    But never as bad as MBA I think...

15. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

What a shame. Oh well. I'm glad I got my BlackBook when I did. Hopefully, by the time I'm ready to replace it, Apple will make laptops out of something more resilient than soft metals. A bad move, IMO.

16. DaBrain macrumors 65816

DaBrain

IM also glad I got my Black MacBook refurb a month ago and enjoy it immensely.

However, I would say a lot depends on how they implement the Stainless steel, which is not exactly a soft metal--))) Time will tell, but in the interim we still get to enjoy our mac books! ;)

17. ryannel2003 macrumors 68000

ryannel2003

Agreed. I prefer the white plastic look to the Aluminum models. I guess we'll wait and see what Apple has up its sleeve.

18. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

If they make the stainless as thin as they do the aluminum, it most definitely will be quite flimsy. Ever work in a restaurant and use a stainless steel table in a kitchen? Pretty flimsy stuff unless thick. Plus- stainless isn't very light.

19. Santa Rosa macrumors 65816

Santa Rosa

Are you some sort of thermodynamics and electronics engineer or something, you are making some pretty bold statements there in a very sure form.

iPhone is Rev A, I would say that is far from horrible

20. NightFlight macrumors 6502

NightFlight

Reported by everybody???

Really, come on.... :rolleyes:

If you were writing a column in a paper or magazine this would be called bad journalism. Not EVERYONE is having problems with their MBAs and it does not make sense to say that everyone is.

I am counting down until this thread is locked.

21. aristobrat macrumors G4

Were you around for Rev A MBPs?

The strip above the function keys got hot enough to make you involuntarily pull your hand back.
    The LCD made a funny buzz.
    The CPU made a high-pitched whine.

There were even organized events to mass call AppleCare to get Apple to do something about them.

If the only complaint about the Air is that the fans run when it gets hot until its no longer hot, it doesn't even come close to a bad Rev A launch.

22. ryannel2003 macrumors 68000

ryannel2003

Yeah and the Rev. A MacBook wasn't much better either. I think the MBA pales in comparison to the MacBook and MacBook Pro launches.

23. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Apparently the OP has never owned a MBA. I bought my MBA the 2nd week of March '08 (I believe the MBA's prior to this date were the ones the OP was talking about) and have not experienced the problems explained by the OP. I also own a BlackBook 2.4 Penryn and I'm happy with it as well. My only concerns with the MBA was the rather small hard drive of 80GB, (bought the external Superdrive), and the clicking noise during the closing of the MBA. Heat and Fan issues were addressed and I'm totally satisfied with the end results. I'm selling my MBA next month, only because of the small hard drive and my brother would like a new MBA. :confused::p

24. nidserz macrumors 6502a

nidserz

i am so anxious to run out and buy the current macbook (i love the white plastic mac look) and if i wanted aluminum i would get the macbook pro or air (although air doesnt meet my needs its a possibility)...sucks that i feel like i should wait till back to school deal for a free ipod, but am considering just buying macbook now w/o ipod because i don't need an ipod (i got an 8gb touch and a 4gb nano which meets my needs) and i know it would save me about 100$ by selling it...ah i dunno if its worth it!

ok enough sorry for the vent but i am gonna pick up the current gen 2.4ghz macbook cuz it has everything i need it to do/want it to do and am perfectly happy with it and wouldnt want the predicted new aluminum macbook

25. Ferrari83 macrumors newbie

Agreed. Im also prefer white then alumiunm. Just hope for Better screen..