Run Ubuntu In Parallels

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by UncleSchnitty, Oct 13, 2014.

1. UncleSchnitty macrumors 6502a

UncleSchnitty

If I install ubuntu on a secondary hard drive how do I add it to parallels from the secondary drive? I did this with windows bootcamp and it was almost automatic but before I install Ubuntu on the drive I want to make sure I understand how to get it virtualized after.

Thanks for any help. I understand this is a pretty simple question I just like to make sure I have a good understanding before starting a project.

2. Lachhh macrumors regular

Your question confuses me slightly. The secondary OS virtualised in Parallels would have to have been installed via Parallels too. It's not a "task switcher" for operating systems that have already been installed through other means than Parallels. If that's what you're even asking.

You can however put the Ubuntu installer on your regular desktop where Parallels will detect it, then ask Parallels to install said OS on your secondary drive.

(Disclaimer - I'm not an expert on Parallels seeing as I use VirtualBox for various FotM Linux distros, I'm way too cheap for Parallels.)

3. D.T. macrumors 604

D.T.

FYI, you can run an actual Winders© installed via bootcamp in a Parallels VM. It’s a pretty neat option, as it gives you a dedicated Windows machine or a convenient VM (concurrent with OSX) option.

However, AFAIK, that option is not available for other operating systems, i.e., Ubuntu (CentOS, other Linux flavors) can’t be virtualized from a dedicated install/partition.