Run Windows from a different hard drive / external enclosure?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by peanutismint, Jan 6, 2008.

1. peanutismint macrumors 6502

peanutismint

I'm just about to upgrade my Macbook's hard drive to a nice big 250GB drive, and wondering what to do with my old 100GBish drive. I figured I could just use it for storage or buy an external enclosure for it or something, but then another idea hit me....

There's only one thing that I always have go back to Windows for, and that's recording music with lots of Windows only apps I've bought and continue to use. So I was wondering, if I were to install ONLY Windows XP on my 100GB hard drive, is there a way that I could have my Macbook boot into XP every time the hard disk was present? i.e. could I select my operating system based on which hard drive was present in the laptop?

And, if I could do this, is there any way I could boot my system from the Windows drive externally? i.e. can you 'hold a button' or something on system boot to make it load its OS from an external source?

That way, I could have an entire disk reserved for Windows and music apps....any ideas?

2. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

You can. But Windows likes to reset the USB drivers during boot. There is a method to re-slipstream the XP or Vista CD to make it work, its available if you search on google. I'm personally thinking about the same route, I have a 120GB 2.5" hard drive that I pulled from my macbook when I upgraded to 250GB... but thinking about it, I have a lot of extra space now (I mean, I survived fine with 120GB.. lol) and its actually easier (at least for me) to have 2 partitions, osx and windows, rather then to carry around another hdd and a USB cord.. but thats just me.

3. peanutismint thread starter macrumors 6502

peanutismint

Ah yes, I've just been reading up about the slipstreaming etc... I already have a slipstreamed version of XP to which I added SP2 and a load of hotfixes etc.... is there much chance that will have had USB boot support enabled when I added that stuff? Or is it something you have to specifically set?

It probably would be easier to have them on separate partitions to be honest, you're right.... I just like a challenge! :-D