Run Windows from an external file server?

brobins

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 27, 2008
Hey there,

I have recently taken delivery of a new i7 27" iMac and plan on installing Windows 7 in order to run some key applications I use for work (on PCs) such as Autodesk 3ds Max & Vray..

I initially planned on making a partition for the Windows install but then it occurred to me that I have a 500GB ATA drive sitting in my old Mac that I might as well put to use.

If I get hold of an external Lan / Usb 2.0 hard drive enclosure could I use this as my Windows drive and boot from it via Boot Camp when desired? Also, with it being a file server could I access the files from both OS' pretty easily?

Many Thanks.

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
bootcamp only works on the internal Mac bootdrive. It's possible with hacks to do it on an external disk. However, I shudder at the thought of trying to boot from a LAN connected server; it would be horribly slow.

brobins

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 27, 2008
Thanks for your reply..

So I guess I would have to make a partition for the Windows installation but could use the external file server as a place to save project files to so they could be accessed by both Windows and OS X?

brobins

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 27, 2008
Thanks for your reply..

This would cause an issue as alot of the files I work with with are larger than the 4GB limit so I would need a solution that allows both Windows & OS X to be able to read / write files larger than 4GB..

My old place of work had a similar set-up (but on a much larger scale). 200 Employees, Majority were Windows users but the re-touch department were all OS X. Everyone had to work from the file servers..

Does anyone have any ideas how I could set up a similar thing at home?

Many Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.