Run without Iphone

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Mainbeam, Dec 19, 2016.

1. Mainbeam macrumors member

Mainbeam

Hi,

Is there a running app anyone is aware of that allows you to use your watch series 2 to record the run without the need to take the iPhone too? I don't fancy runnning with my 7 plus.

On the lookout for decent Bluetooth headphones to use with my watch.

This would be an ideal set up for me.

Cheers

Paul

2. verdejt macrumors 6502

verdejt

There is Nike Run Club, Runkeeper I think Strava does as well. Plus the built in Workout app will record your run without your phone. Of course you need an AW2.

3. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Perhaps @Long Run Nick would have advice
    On this. He is an avid runner for being an old guy. (He would understand the old guy quote).

4. Mainbeam thread starter macrumors member

Mainbeam

Built in workout app looks great! Anyone currently using it? What's your opinion?

Thanks verdejt and Relentless Power.

5. Bob190, Dec 19, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2016

Bob190 macrumors 6502

All of these work to various degrees, except Strava. It hasn't been updated yet to use without your iPhone. Strava claims the updated version will be available in early 2017.

Personally, I find the Nike Run Club app works best. For me, the voice feedback that the NRC app gives you is the clincher .. especially in the winter time when the watch is buried under sleeves.

NRC also seems to give you a GPS track as smooth as the native Workout app, and the heart rate data also seems to be smoothed, eliminating the spikes you sometimes get with optical HRMs.

The built in Workout app works fine, as long as you don't want to export your GPS track to other sites like Strava, Garmin Connect, etc. There is currently no way to do that. Also, the native Workout app doesn't have any voice feedback.

For Bluetooth earbuds, I use the Axigo Dash. They are completely wireless in that there is no wire connecting the right and left ear. Sound quality is just OK, but I really don't care for running. I learned a while ago not to spend too much on Bluetooth earbuds as sweat will eventually kill them. I think the Axigo's were $45 USD at Amazon.

6. verdejt macrumors 6502

verdejt

Bob190 is there a way to export your workout with gps track from NRC?

7. Bob190 macrumors 6502

I use RunGap. But there are other methods like importing into SmashRun and then syncing via Tapirik. The developer of RunGap has threatened to end supporting Nike due to their poor treatment of 3rd party developers, but as of now it still works.

8. BlueMoon63 macrumors 68020

NRC had an update a few days ago that mentioned improved performance and such... Maybe it is working better? Personally, I stick with the workout app as I don't care about how slow I am :)