Runcore SSD not formatting

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by iBookG4user, Nov 5, 2009.

1. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Hello everyone,

I just got a new 128GB Runcore SSD for my MacBook Air today and I've been running into some problems with it. It came preformatted to FAT32 which wouldn't work to copy all the data over to and boot from, obviously. So, I tried opening Disk Utility to format it and it gets about halfway through before it just stops all progress and no progress is had after that.

After verifying the same case on my MacBook Air and my MacBook Pro, I decided to see if it would work via Terminal. So I typed in the command "diskutil eraseDisk HFS+ untitled disk3" with disk3 being the SSD. I've let it sit for a few minutes now and it is still trying to unmount the disk.

Any ideas as to how I can format this hard drive and go from misery to glee on my MacBook Air?

EDIT:

Ok, I've unplugged and replugged in the SSD and tried the terminal command again. This time it is getting further, but still not completing the task:

Formatting disk3s2 as Mac OS Extended with name untitled
    [ | 0%..10%..20%..30%..40%..50%.......................... ]

2. someguy macrumors 68020

someguy

Just a thought, have you tried formatting it using another OS, or even zeroing the drive, and then trying again from within OS X?

I don't have a technical explanation as to why that would work, but it seems like one of those silly things could work just because. :rolleyes:

3. iBookG4user thread starter macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I actually don't have any PCs at all, so no non-OS X computers in the house. And I'm starting to think that the drive is toast :(. I just installed it in my MacBook Air and every time I tried to install OS X it froze. So I tried reformatting it again and now I'm getting "POSIX reports: The operation couldn't be completed. Cannot allocate memory." from Disk Utility within the Snow Leopard install DVD. I also tried the Leopard install DVD and got input/output error.

Looks like I'll need to RMA it...

4. someguy macrumors 68020

someguy

Sure sounds like it. If you want to give it another shot in another OS just for kicks, head [​IMG] and grab an Ubuntu Live CD. It comes with gparted, a partition editor that will allow you to format the drive any way you'd like.

Worth a shot, IMO. Good luck! :)