Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

We previously mentioned RunKeeper [App Store], a GPS-based training assistant for the iPhone.
RunKeeper uses the built-in GPS in the new 3G iPhone to enable runners, cyclists, hikers, skiers, walkers, etc. to track their outdoor fitness activities and promote good health.

Some of the data we enable you to track:
- duration
- distance
- pace
- speed
- total rise
- altitude versus speed
- path traveled on a map
Originally priced at $9.99, the company has dropped to price to Free in an effort to build their community. It's not clear how long the app will stay at the Free price, so now's your chance if you have any interest in this app.

Article Link: RunKeeper Training Assistant Now Free

Rybold

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2008
California, USA
Awesome!
I wonder if they will also make one for bicycling, or even one I for in my car to display my progress on a graph, showing ups and downs in speed, instead of just having an overall average.

Nice App ! :D

txplorer

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2008
Nice Idea but...

I do like the app. The idea is really great. Unfortunately, the GPS in the iPhone is not ready for prime time. After 1/2 hour, I noticed the GPS never locked on my location. It also consumed 1/2 my battery life. Is this available for the Blackberry??

happydude

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2006
a gasping dying planet
hey, now that it is free, i'll give it a try. reading the reviews with the gps not able to track at the speed humans (normal humans anyway) run, i didn't want to plop down $10 for it. i'll give it a whirl on my run tomorrow.

though my other objection is that i'm not a fan of running with my iphone. it's too bulky. that's why i have a nano!

levitynyc

macrumors 65816
Aug 19, 2006
Works great for me. I've had it about a month. They recently added altitude.
'
I went hiking in a state park for 3 hours and it mapped the trail almost perfectly

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.