Runmeter App for GPS running

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by Advance The Man, Jan 11, 2010.

1. Advance The Man macrumors 6502

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/runmeter-gps-running-stopwatch/id326498704?mt=8

http://www.runmeter.com

I figured someone must have posted about this app. Nope. It is the best running app I've seen. It remains to be seen if I can continue to run with the size of the iPhone, but when it's in my pocket - it is not bothersome. I've yet to find an armband to hold the iPhone with my case protector. I'm not willing to switch it on and off daily.

The app Runmeter is GPS based. You can play music/podcast while you run. A voice allows you to hear at whatever interval you want to hear how you're doing. i.e. current pace, overall pace, miles run, miles left. Miles left is capable once you run a common route. It saves it and the next time you run that route you can also race your 'ghost'. There is also a nice calendar showing the days you ran with symbols showing how well you did. You click on a day to pull up specifics. A google map shows your route and you are able to email yourself or others of your result. Very slick and intuitive. It also has twitter feeds allowing your followers to see real time and they can respond which then 'text to speech' to you headphones while you're running. I don't use twitter, so no comment there. I was using the integrated Nike software, but don't like having to go online synch. This is all inclusive on your iPhone. The organization and history of my runs is invaluable for training.

2. coolings macrumors member

I have a very small case that covers my iPhone. I use a tunebelt armband. It has works great. Amazon had the best deal I could find. http://www.tunebelt.com/ab82

3. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

how would this compare to this new app that i found called runKeeper pro?

4. Keleko macrumors 68000

Runkeeper Pro isn't really that new. It has been out a while and seems to be one of the top running apps on the iPhone. I'll have to check out Runmeter to see how it compares.

5. Advance The Man thread starter macrumors 6502

RunKeeper looks good. Here's a comparison and appears objective even though it was created by the folks that made Runmeter... http://www.abvio.com/running-guide/

One thing RunKeeper appears not to have is saving your routes and comparing 'racing' yourself from previous routes you run. It is $10 and Runmeter is $5.

So far so good, still need an armband solution.

6. Advance The Man thread starter macrumors 6502

Do you know if a hard case would fit inside this armband case? It looks like neoprine(sp?) and may stretch. Thanks

7. coolings macrumors member

My case is a hard case. However, it is a slim one. I do not know the name of my case. Is covers the back and some of the front. Something like the DLO hard shell or Incase slider should fit. The neoprene does stretch. With my case it is a little difficult to press the home button while it is in the armband. But after that, I can use the touchscreen fine.

I know several people who have those massive otterbox cases. That company makes an armband that the otterbox clips to. If that is something that would interest you. Way to big for my taste.

8. Blueline29 macrumors 68020

Blueline29

Thanks for this info! I'm just starting to train for a marathon that's about a year from now and was wondering which of these apps people have tried and liked. I'm so excited about being able to just wander and take new routes, not having to stick to the old ones because I already know how long they are.

9. Advance The Man thread starter macrumors 6502

I called Tunebelt company and verified it would fit. It's a normal sized hard case. Ordered via Amazon, $20 shipped. Haven't received yet. Thanks

10. coolings macrumors member

Sweet. You will like it. I wear it with my phone upside down. Works well. Can hold arm up and see if I need to. On the front of the case there is a little strap to secure you headphones to. Since I only use my headphones with the case, I just leave my headphones in the strap. Works out well for me.

11. coolings macrumors member

I use runkeeper. I like it. It works well, and keeps me motivated. The main difference between runkeeper and runmeter is that runkeeper has a website that all of your data is uploaded to. The runmeter info is stored only on the phone. I use the website to track my performance from week to week and month to month. Also, it will show you where in your run you ran faster and where you slowed. I use that for next time (to try to keep pace).

Runmeter looks like a good app too. I dont think you will be disappointed with either. Runmeter has a few things better than runkeeeper. Let the price and feature difference decide for you.

12. Advance The Man thread starter macrumors 6502

Good advice, as both look good. Runmeter does show a graph indicating a horizontal line showing miles and a vertical line showing pace. You can see where you were slow/fast, etc. It does not have a website to upload, but I don't want anymore complication. That's why I lost interest in the Nike run app. You can email yourself your runs. All of this is user dependent and what you want to see in the app. Good luck to all in their decision!

13. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

Actually just got myself a new pair of running shoes and decided to try out the nike+ system. For $20 i thought why not? The new nike running website is very cool. not only will it graph the results of your, but there are things like coaches for training, goals you can set, a map it function where you can look at other people's routes that they have put on the site near your location. It doesn't have the gps function, but as far as a training partner, i think im really going to enjoy using this along with the interactive website

14. Keleko macrumors 68000

When I got my new Nike+ sensor to replace my worn out one, I have been unable to upload to the Nike website. I'm not the only one with this problem, either. I've yet to find a solution to get it working again. What I do instead is enter a manual entry in Runkeeper Pro using my Nike+ data. I prefer having it all in one place anyway.

15. jeeckard2 macrumors newbie

runmeter pro

I'm interested in setting up notifications or announcements that will alert me in reference to time. But I want two different time notifications.

I want an alert after 6 minutes and then again after 1 minute. Then I want it to repeat. An alert after 6 minutes and then again after 1 minute. And so on for the duration of my run.

Is this possible with Runmeter Pro?