Runners Unite!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Fthree, Feb 27, 2016.

1. Fthree macrumors 6502a

Any runners on here? Thought we could make a thread with all things running... (Gear, tips, nutrition, races, workouts, etc.)

Gear for me--
    Hoka One One Clifton 2's
    Garmin Fenix 3
    and All things nike running for clothing

Tips--
    Dont run when you have serious pain................

Upcoming Races- I signed up for a half in March and am on the look out for more in the spring.

Would be nice to chat with Mac Loving Runners!!!!

2. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

I run daily. I use an iPod Nano 7th gen for music/radio. No races planned..

3. Fthree thread starter macrumors 6502a

I have thought about getting a Nano instead of carrying my phone.

4. monokakata macrumors 68000

monokakata

Currently in my 42nd year of running. True, what I do now hardly passes for "running," but I'm still at it.

I was also, for 25 years, a road race timer.

So yeah. Let's share stuff.

5. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

Big respect to you! I admire your humbleness. I was a competitive athlete until my early thirties. It was hard to walk away.

6. monokakata macrumors 68000

monokakata

I didn't start until I was about 30, but I took to it and got to be a decent age-group runner. I still enter a race from time to time, but mostly I train by myself.

To me, what matters is hitting it as hard as I can, no matter what the speed. I still get a huge rush from pushing to my current redline, no matter the distance.

I still walk 20-45 miles, but my days of running marathons are over.

7. Fthree thread starter macrumors 6502a

Keep at it!! I hope to stick with it as long as you have!!!
    --- Post Merged, Feb 27, 2016 ---
    Are you still currently training?

8. monokakata macrumors 68000

monokakata

Yes. I was going to do the Big Island Marathon in March (run-walk), but because of an injury I haven't put in the miles, so I'll skip it. In my running career I had only one DNF, and that was about a year ago, in a 50k with a 4000' climb. I had done it before, but this time I entered knowing I wasn't ready. And on race day, indeed I wasn't, and crashed & burned at about 15 miles. I'd like to keep my DNFs at 1.

I'm looking at a solo 45 miler (73k) with 6500' of climbing. I walk my age in km around my birthday each year. But I don't think I can be ready for that by June, so I'll push it to July.

My injury is an example of what happens with aging. Last October I was in a trail 10k with about 1500' of climbing for the first half, then all down for the second. I did well on the climb because I'm used to climbing, but on the way down I tangled my feet or hit a rock and went down hard, screwing up my right hamstring. I finished and got 3rd in 60+ but was out of action for a couple of months. The aging thing is that a similar injury when I was, say, 50, would have been nothing much and I would have been back out in a couple of weeks, max. But not this time.

The bottom line for old age running is that recovery takes longer and prep takes longer.

9. Fthree thread starter macrumors 6502a

Wow I'm impressed! That's great that you keep at it. I recently had something going on with my ankle and have rested it and am back out. It wasn't a setback at all really I think I needed the rest. I keep track of my runs through an app called run keeper and with my garmin Fenix I am able to sync things to strava. I'm a tech guy so keeping up with stats is fun and gives my overpriced computers something to track.

10. monokakata macrumors 68000

monokakata

I use a Garmin 910, and really like it. I stick to the old Garmin Training Center app rather than the net-based ones, because I like to use a topographic map as the map. Also with the old Training Center you can put your run onto Google Earth. Maybe Garmin Connect or run keeper can do that too -- don't know.

I have all my logs since 1974 but until 2004 or 2005 they are all on paper. Someday I'll scan them, but I don't think I'll do anything crazy like enter them into a spreadsheet. I'd kind of like to, though.

11. fitshaced macrumors 68000

fitshaced

I'm a runner even though I mostly hate running. I enjoy finishing training and finishing events. Got the London Marathon in April which I'm not quite ready for but up to 25k so I'll get over the line.

Running in Mizuno Wave Rider 8's which aren't great but too late to change. Also, using an Apple Watch with Strava, Jaybird Bluebuds and a Nathan Hydration vest with Camelback bladder and tube. Going to run the Sydney marathon as well this year.

It's really all about doing something for the year. I'm getting older and so weight control becomes more of a struggle. Running keeps it off. Training is definitely becoming harder since I did a marathon in 2013 when I was 35. 38 now and feel it. I wish I got into it much earlier though. I started training for events in 2011 and try to do a couple every year since.

12. Fthree thread starter macrumors 6502a

I looked at the 910 it looks like a great device! Those logs have to be great to reference! I look at mine in my short experience and try and figure out what I can change to make me a better runner.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 28, 2016 ---
    I looked at some Mizuno's they were really nice. Im sure you will make it over the line!
    --- Post Merged, Feb 28, 2016 ---
    Ended up doing a decent (FOR ME) run this am:

Time- 1:40:25
    Dist- 13.13 Miles
    Pace- 7:39 (mi)

nice and hilly would have loved to get into the 1:30's

13. jbachandouris macrumors 68040

jbachandouris

I ran my first 5K at the age of 43. I have run 5k and 10k's since then. I want to do at least a half marathon, but since I usually run on a treadmill, I'm not quite ready yet.

Recently I had surgery for a hole in my diaphragm which had my stomach and large intestine pushing into my right lung. This of course has affected my breathing. I am hoping for better times and longer runs now that I have recovered.

I had been using the Nike+ GPS watch, but I am now looking into getting the Garmin Forerunner 225.

14. Fthree thread starter macrumors 6502a

You will get a half soon I'm sure! The forerunner 225 is nice and will probably be my next watch although I'm eyeballing the 630 also........

15. JamesMike macrumors demi-god

JamesMike

I have been running since the age of 13 and have run everything up to a 100-mile trail race. I especially like running on trails; you get to see nice scenery and wildlife.

16. Fthree thread starter macrumors 6502a

100 miles is awesome! I have yet to do any good trails

17. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

The weather is starting to get nice, I really wish I could go for a run. Beacon Street in Boston was packed this past weekend with runners, making me want to get out myself. The marathon influence here is crazy. I used to do a lot of running but unfortunately 10 years ago a mishap in lacrosse screwed up my back and running is really problematic due to the repetitive impact. After a 1/4 mile my back is in a knot and must be an inch shorter :p. I also have this recent development of spinal nerve impingement making my ankle a little numb and weak... but it seems to be getting better.

That said, I swim 2-4 miles a day, 5-6 days a week (sadly I'm the lower end right now :(, but I was out of commission for a couple weeks in January for reasons out of my control). I also dug my Cannonade road bike out of the storage locker this weekend a went for a nice, easy 15 mile jaunt. Hopefully I'll be able to get back into riding to work at least a few days a week (only 6.5 miles each way, granted the hill at the end of the way to work is a little daunting).

I can only hope -someday- my back will recovered to a point where I can tolerably run. I've always wanted to do a triathlon. People say swimming is the hardest part, but I'm a great swimmer if I do say so myself so that's not an issue. I'd love to do a marathon as well.

18. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm a runner, nothing compared to you guys - I'm old and slow :p

I'm prepping for a 1/2 marathon coming up in April. I'd love to do more, but in actuality, my suite spot is about 10 miles. I've run longer and it turns more into a chore then a fun activity. At with 1/2 marathons, my runs are fairly enjoyable and don't fee like "work" I run about 4 to 5 days a week, and as the weather warms up, I'll probably push that up to 6 days a week.

I've not run as long as most people here, I think I've been doing it around 20 years

19. jbachandouris macrumors 68040

jbachandouris

It's been about 40 days of no running or working out as I was recovering from surgery. The doc said March 1st, but really how much difference can 1 day make?

I'm going to start slow. At least 1 mile maybe 2 on the treadmill. Going to try using the Apple Watch again, but I have a feeling I'll be buying a GPS watch soon.

20. mrfrosty macrumors 6502

I'm 43 now, and started running about 18 months ago trying to get to the end of my weight loss journey !
    I have done a few 10k races now and absolutely love it. At the end of last year i competed in thewolfrun.com which was for me a massive deal. I injured the back of knee somehow in that race and i am only just starting to run again (since last November). My equipment is just my Apple Watch, an iPhone (using runtastic app) and a pair of MPOW Cheetah bluetooth headphones which don't sound fantastic but they are super cheap (18 pounds) and functionality wise they are absolutely perfect.

21. Fthree thread starter macrumors 6502a

Im with you on the halves, id like to think I could one day do a full without hesitation though!
    --- Post Merged, Feb 29, 2016 ---
    What did you have surgery on if you don't mind me asking?
    Ill have to check out the site!
    Id love to check out the running landscape in Boston one day.

22. jbachandouris macrumors 68040

jbachandouris

The surgery was for a hole in my diaphragm. I was not allowed to run or workout at all...besides walking which doesn't really count in my book.

I ran 2 miles today on the treadmill. I used the Apple Watch to track the mileage. I was not impressed. May be time to consider a real fitness watch.

Sorry Apple, not even close. The treadmill and the watch were .14 apart.

23. Fthree thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah I have an Apple Watch that sits in the drawer for that same reason. I have a garmin that is amazing!

24. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Was the Apple watch calibrated before you used it for a run? It's best to use it outside with the iPhone so it can calibrate your run with distance. With that said, its not very accurate but I get with within a quarter mile. For my short distances I wear just that, but anything beyond 5 miles I'll use my old fitbit surge.

I'm also thinking it won't be too good on a treadmill and I suspect no runners watch will be, since it has to measure your steps vs. the GPS

25. jbachandouris macrumors 68040

jbachandouris

The built in app doesn't seem to offer much. The screen I had showed me time elapsed and the time. Yes, I know I could change that, but its kinda hard to adjust that when swinging your arms is how it measures the run. I'm going to have to try Runkeeper.

No runners watch will be: Not correct. Both Nike+ watch and Garmin support a footpod for improved accuracy. The Garmin Forerunner 220/225 boast about not needing the footpod yet they will indeed work with them.