Runners: What is your practice for running/tracking with AppleWatch?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by JuryDuty, Jun 15, 2015.

1. JuryDuty macrumors 6502

JuryDuty

I just got an Apple Watch and I'm a runner.

I know there is a Health app on here, etc, and I usually use Runkeeper on my phone along with Spotify (which I may give up for Apple Music when it comes out).

But I'm curious--what is your practice for running/tracking with the Apple Watch?

Do I need to make sure certain apps are started, etc, when I go out for a run?

2. Julien macrumors G4

Julien

I have a Garmin 620 and I also run the Nike+ App on my iPhone. So I use 3 recordings (and 2 watches:eek:) at the same time counting the :apple:Watch Workout App.:cool:

3. geoffm33 macrumors 6502

geoffm33

Do what you normally do, but be sure to start an outdoor run workout on the watch to get exercise credit.

It's my understanding that watchOS 2.0 will allow 3rd party apps on the watch (and phone??) to contribute to your workout activity without starting a workout.

4. zaneliu macrumors 6502

zaneliu

I currently just map out runs using map my run and then I run the watch fitness outdoor run app.

Also as an FYI, on watchOS2 split distance/times are given for runs

5. Tomperser macrumors newbie

Tomperser

I have a Polar V800, but now using the watch & Nike+; no huge differences regarding accuracy.

6. craigmadge macrumors newbie

if using the nike running app on the watch do I need to start the workout app aswell?

7. Julien macrumors G4

Julien

As of now you will not get any Move or Exercise credit in the Apple Activity App from a 3ed party App. So if you want your Rings you need it use the Apple Workout App. This will change in 2.0 (September-ish).

I just run Nike+ on my iPhone. For now the :apple:Watch Nike+ App is more of a remote control for the iPhone App and is very buggy.

8. ReardenMetal, Jun 15, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2015

ReardenMetal macrumors regular

ReardenMetal

I generally log about 40 miles/month. Previously used the Nike+ app before my watch arrived. Switched completely to Apple's workout ecosystem to make my data flow properly. I will reevaluate in the fall when third-party apps get their proper integration. I don't miss Nike+ as much as I thought I would. That said, I'm also not a competitive runner, etc.

9. Sgt_Sharkey macrumors member

Sgt_Sharkey

I have ordered my AWS SG 42mm and wondered do you take your iPhone on your exercise or do you leave it at home and let it sync when it pairs?

10. thefredelement macrumors 65816

thefredelement

If you calibrate your watch first you'll get proper passive tracking.

I don't use any watch exercise apps while running, I use the Nike + Running app and it's "remote" interface on the watch. I always get credit for my run from the watch without ever putting it into outdoor Run. It doesn't make sense too, if a 3rd party app is using GPS on the phone the watch app will not be able to use it.

11. zaneliu macrumors 6502

zaneliu

I definitely don't like bringing my phone. I'm a bit crazy with my running so I don't even like listening to music when I'm seriously running but the fact that the watch allows you to bluetooth stream music, there's little reason to actually bring your phone. The hassle of having to bring other large items really interferes with running I think.

12. Julien macrumors G4

Julien

I have been running with my iPhone since 2007 (for music). Have been using iPhone GPS mapping Apps since 2008 and started with iTrail App. Still have a lot of my runs from 2008.

13. JuryDuty, Jun 16, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2015

JuryDuty thread starter macrumors 6502

JuryDuty

I went running this morning with my iPhone and Apple Watch for the first time.

When I started, I launched Runkeeper and started the run, then I launched Activity and started the run. When I finished I ended both. I'll look forward to when one can feed into the other. That said, it looks like Runkeeper IS pushing into the Health app, just not the Activity app...?

Anyway, as nice as it was to be able to reference the watch during the run, I don't think I could go out without my phone. Phone adds GPS tracking where I run and Spotify music. It's possible the music will be a non-issue when Apple Music comes out as it may allow saving offline to your watch. Then I might go without my phone and just forego the GPS tracker.

I really need to settle on one tracking service. I've been with DailyMile for a long time so I still post with them, but I prefer Runkeeper's training plans, and now I have Apple's Activity and Health...ugh. Enough already!

14. Julien macrumors G4

Julien

I assume you mean you used the :apple:Watch Workout App. The Activity App on the :apple:Watch and iPhone is the one with the 3 Rings.;)

15. JuryDuty thread starter macrumors 6502

JuryDuty

Yes, you're correct. Sorry, still getting used to the new app names! :p

It's just funny because some of the apps--like Workout and Activity work together, but others don't when it comes to running. I'll be glad when they all do.

16. doublex14 macrumors regular

doublex14

I have a Garmin running watch but have been using my SG38mm watch for the past couple of runs. I really like it, but I forgot to calibrate it (bring my phone for the first time) so my stats are a little off. I would recommend using the apple watch.

(I am a high school cross country captain, running roughly 30-35 miles a week)

17. zaneliu macrumors 6502

zaneliu

I think Apple should implement an easier pause/end option during running. Make the lower side "friend" button a quick pause. Having to force touch is ridiculous mid run. Especially when you're trying to be on pace. And the fact that my hands are all sweaty and gross doesn't make me want to be pressing my screen any more.

18. chadsteruw macrumors member

This isn't entirely true - I still get my Move and Exercise rings credit if I don't use the Workout App. As long as you're moving, you'll get credit. The Workout App just adds some extra data to your daily activity like continued heart rate monitoring during your workout.

19. chadsteruw macrumors member

My routine is to start the Workout App (Outdoor Run) on my Apple Watch, then start RunKeeper on my iPhone. Then end both at the end of my run.

As for all that data going to the Health app, you'll want to go into the settings and decide which data you want the Health app to prioritize. I was noticing I was getting double credit for my runs because I was using both Workout app and RunKeeper.

Right now, the only reason I use the Workout App for my runs is because some of the Achievements require the use of the workout app. Otherwise, I'd stick to just RunKeeper.

20. Suture macrumors 6502a

Suture

I'd like to not have to drag the iPhone with me, but I want to know the distance, and am currently doing intervals. Can the watch estimate the distance you've gone? I'm using RunKeeper, FWIW.

21. thefredelement macrumors 65816

thefredelement

The below is all easily avoided if you just calibrate your watch first.

Take your watch and your phone (pref in an arm band or holding it in your hand) outside for a 20 minute walk or run on a clear day in an open space.

Start the run or walk activity on the watch. Do NOT use any other apps on your phone or watch to track anything.

It will calibrate it's own instruments by using your movement and the GPS data from the phone.

Then, your watch should know your stride and how much distance it covers over the earth, while it won't map you, you will get accurate exercise credit for calories & movement.

Meaning that when you run you can just run with whatever 3rd part app you'd like to and the watch will pick up on the activity and give you credit accordingly.

22. chadsteruw macrumors member

I know that - but the watch and workout App doesn't map your run unless you have your iPhone (along with a 3rd party app). So yes, you get credit, but if you also like to see where you're running, you're going to need your phone and an app that will map your route for you.

23. phirstube macrumors regular

phirstube

I start the exercise app on the watch and start runkeeper on the watch. In runkeeper, on the phone, I make sure to select my spotify playlist and activity type before i start it on my watch. Before I leave the house is where I select my activity type in runkeeper on my phone. Then I drive to the track with my phone in my pouch and never have to take it out. just start the exercise app and runkeeper on the watch and off i go.

24. jbachandouris macrumors 601

jbachandouris

Still using the Nike+ GPS running app with foot pod as I do treadmill runs during the week. Looking forward to using the Apple Watch to replace it, but it's not looking too good.

25. ryanovelo macrumors newbie

AND RunKeeper cannot give you heart rate. Not until OS2.