Runners with AW2 - can you get your run onto Strava?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by kitenski, Sep 20, 2016.

1. kitenski macrumors regular

kitenski

I am guessing the Strava app needs updating, but can you get your run onto something like Strava from the in built Apple running app?

Cheers,

Greg

2. Bob190 macrumors 6502

Yes, but without map data currently. There are a few options, the easy of which is a 3rd party iOS app called RunGap. It imports the data from Health, then allows you to export to about anywhere you have an account for a minimal cost. Not free to export, but it is not much either.

This functionality should have been built into the Activity app on the phone .. I really don't know why it isn't there especially in iOS 10.

3. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

The lack of export functionality is what stops me using the native activity app - I like to upload my runs to Strava and currently record them using Runtastic (I don't like the Strava app), export them as .tcx files from the runtastic website and import them into Strava.

The runs also go into Apple Health and get added to my activity rings so I don't lose anything doing it that way :)

4. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

Crazy that there isn't better support out of the gate for this device.

Phil - can't Runtastic do that export to Strava automatically? I'm very glad to see that the Activity Rings are now allowing 3rd party apps to update them, but unfortunately it isn't terribly reliable for me. Strava often updates the mileage, but not the calories, and then when it eventually sends the calories, it sends the mileage a second time. Lots of fiddling still required.

5. kitenski thread starter macrumors regular

kitenski

thanks for the replies, will watch with interest. We've been looking for a watch with GPS that can do HR and indoor swimming for my wife and everything she has tried on looks too big/ugly so an AW2 could do the trick.

@Bob190 if no map, then I assume no Strava segments get matched to a run?

6. exxxviii macrumors 65816

exxxviii

Actually, this is an update we need to Activity. All other fitness activity capture clients in the world are setup to send their data to external aggregators like Strava, Training Peaks, Golden Cheetah, etc., when the activity completes. Let's hope Apple continues this model by similarly supporting this standardized export feature. Today, it is not there.

7. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

I doubt Apple will add it because they want to keep you in their system. Same with the Nike app which has never had an official way to export data. Fortunately 3rd party apps will come eventually.

8. exxxviii macrumors 65816

exxxviii

The first major point is that Apple has no system to keep anyone in. It appears that they are ignoring the web entirely as a place athletes go to see a dashboard of their activity and dig in. But yeah, Apple is too big too ignore, so Strava will probably capitulate by developing some constant polling approach to pull the data. Crap like this from Apple is regressive and causes all kinds of inefficiencies and instability in the features that folks love. We have a wonderful world standard that pretty much works flawlessly today.

Or, maybe Strava will pull a Fitbit and just ignore Apple. So, if an athlete lives in the world of "if it is not on Strava, it didn't happen," then they skip the AW and will get a device that captures and natively sends workouts to Strava.

9. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

Apple has a system - their Health and Activity apps. They of course aren't anything like Strava or other competitors, but they have even added Sharing features into the Activity app so they most certainly are moving in that direction.

I personally don't care that Apple doesn't export their data natively. Sure, I guess it'd be nice if they did, but so long as they give developers access to the important stuff I'm just as happy using a 3rd party app that caters more specifically to my needs.

10. Bob190 macrumors 6502

Unfortunately, yes that's correct .. no segments. I emailed the developer of RunGap and he is going to look into getting the map data into his app to export to other sites. However, it doesn't appear that the map data is stored anywhere in health, thus I am not sure it would be accessible to developers. Not sure I understand the logic there, but it is what it is.

Hopefully soon we will see apps that support the Series 2 integrated GPS from Strava, iSmoothRun, and Others and then it will be a moot point.

11. exxxviii macrumors 65816

exxxviii

I bet Health does not contain the detailed geocoded data. The details of a running workout do have micro distances, but these would need geo coordinates to enable an export from Health. If not, then Activity would need to do the export.

In the name of science and curiosity, can you click into one of our AWS2 workouts from Health then scroll down and select the total distance under "Workout Samples?" Then click on one of the samples to see if there are coordinates attached.

12. Julien macrumors G4

Julien

Probably not since this is not a Health metric.

13. Bob190, Sep 20, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2016

Bob190 macrumors 6502

Yea, I tried that when I first installed WatchOS3 on my orginal AW during the beta testing phase. No coordinates then, or now with the Series 2 watch unfortunately. My guess is the data is compiled somewhere in the OS, and isn't going to be accessible to anyone but Apple unfortunately.

This is a bit cheesy, but for now, I have been uploading a picture of the map from the Activity app to Strava, with the data from RunGap, just so I will at least know where I ran that day when looking back.

Attached Files: