Runnig Vista via BootCamp when it is already installed with VMware Fusion

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by upN0rth, Dec 4, 2008.

1. upN0rth macrumors newbie

I installed Vista Home Premium on my new MacBook 2.4 using VMware Fusion 2.0. The virtual environment is great however I'm dissapointed that Vista Aero is not supported. When I attempt to use BootCamp, it prompts me to install windows again. Is there any way to run Vista via BootCamp using the copy that is already installed throught VMware, or do I need to install it twice? The copy of Vista I have is an OEM/system builder version so I'm not sure if i will be able to install it again.

Thanks in advance. I just joined this forum and it looks to be a great resource!

2. durija macrumors 6502

You'll need to install your Vista on a Boot Camp partition. After that, you can use that install for your VMWare virtual machine as well, but I think you may need to jump through an activation hoop or two. It's then kind of like having one instance of your OS, but accessing it from two different directions. A large number of VMWare users do it this way.

3. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Yup, you did it bas-ackwards. To have a dual environment (real, and VM), the real install via BC must happen first, then the VM (either Parallels or VMWare) will see the BC instance and use that as well. No second install necessary.

4. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Yes, OEM/System builder disks can be installed a million times, just it has to be on the same hardware configuration.

5. Thunder82 macrumors 6502

You can also call Microsoft for activation, tell them you had a motherboard failure (you replaced it, etc) and the OS/License is currently only installed on one computer. They'll activate it.

6. BrooklynAMN macrumors newbie

i just went through this and you don't have to even talk to a person.

when the vm asks to activate windows, follow the on screen directions and call microsoft at the number they give you. a robot will answer the phone. you'll have to talk to it for about 5 minutes and you'll be all set. OEM can be installed on the same hardware (virtual or otherwise) infinitely.

You may also have to reactivate from your boot camp end as well after creating the vm. It made me reactivate windows but did not require a second call to microsoft. I can now run the same oem windows copy on boot camp or as a vm through fusion.