Running 10.4.11 on a brand new MBP

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Craddosk, Mar 27, 2009.

1. Craddosk macrumors newbie

Quick question,

Any issues with running 10.4.11 on a brand new MBP? What about running Classic in this OS?

I assume that it's as simple as inserting, booting off of, and then installing 10.4.11, but I figured I would make sure.

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Not possible. Video drivers are not available for the new MBP. Classic is a no go on any Intel Mac.

3. Craddosk thread starter macrumors newbie

But, if that was the case, why did my Intel C2D Macbook come with 10.4 on it? Would the new MB's run the 10.4.11 instead of the MBP's? Is it just the video driver issue?

Seems strange that the Intel chip doesn't work, because my C2D runs it just fine....

More clues?

4. cherry su macrumors 65816

cherry su

5. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

flopticalcube is right. Any mac will only boot in the OS that it comes with and higher. Besides, there wasn't an Intel retail release of Tiger nor can they run Classic apps without emulation.

6. Craddosk thread starter macrumors newbie

Bought it as soon as the C2D came out. So, Fall 2006. And I know it didn't come with 10.5, so hence my confusion.

7. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

My MacBook also came with Tiger but they are old technology compared to the new MBPs.

No Intel Mac can Classic. There is an emulator program called SheepShaver that runs under Rosetta but its a pig and crashes so much that its not worth it.

You are talking about 3 different OSs here.

Leopard: can run on any Intel Mac and a few PPC ones.

Tiger: can run on most PPC macs and any Intel Mac that originally came with it.

Classic: is best forgotten.

8. Craddosk thread starter macrumors newbie

Being as wikipedia is inaccurate, it can be seen at the very bottom of the page, where the graph displays Intel coming out, and running under 10.4 before 10.5 came out...

9. cherry su macrumors 65816

cherry su

The earliest OS a mac can run is the one that's on the restore discs.

10. Craddosk thread starter macrumors newbie

Flop, you might be right, I'm not sure. But the claims that Intel's don't run 10.4 is wrong.

I'm just doing some research for a friend, as they require Classic to run some older programs. Currently they're running an old Powerbook G4, and it's not really up to the tasks demanded of it.

11. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Yeah, they were specific machine disks that were released with the new Intel Macs. There was no retail release of an Intel Tiger disk. Wikipedia knows more than you think... and same with the forum members here. ;)

12. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Ahh, but where would you get said copy of Tiger? The only retail versions of Tiger available are PPC ones. Intel Tiger was only available by purchasing a machine and the disk will only install on that machine type, hence why a new MBP cannot get Tiger (that and the lack of Tiger drivers).

13. Craddosk thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh, I realize the forum members here and straight on, it just wasn't making sense in my head.

And while certain parts of Wikipedia are accurate, other parts are incredibly inaccurate, as anyone can edit them with any information they please. Main reason why it's not considered a valid research source for any paper (even for background material)

So I guess I'm out of luck then. Damn. Oh well. Thanks for the help.

14. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

You say that your computer came with 10.4 disks. That's hardly "brand new" by any definition of the term, but yes, obviously it will run 10.4 then. If you want it, install it from the disks.

I don't really understand the point of the question. Or are we talking about two different computers? If so, then the restore disks that came with your computer will only work that computer, so there's no point in trying to do otherwise.

15. Craddosk thread starter macrumors newbie

The brand new that I was inquiring about would be a MB or MBP from the Apple store today. Hence, no 10.4 disks that come with it. While I realize my elderly C2D macbook can run them, I failed to understand why a newer MB or MBP couldn't also run them.

16. 11800506 macrumors 65816

Is there any particular reason why you wanted to run Tiger on a new Mac?

17. Craddosk thread starter macrumors newbie

Certain programs only will run under Classic, they won't run under the 10.X OS.

18. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Do you know what these applications are?

It's rare that a more up to date replacement can't be found... and besides, it's not a great idea to continue to rely on legacy apps if the work or data is important. If there's no way around it, then it might be worth your friend buying a second hand machine like the dual G4s or the last Powerbooks.

19. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Your older MacBook can't run Classic applications either.

I wouldn't break out the word "elderly" for anything newer than a sub-1.0 GHz G4.

20. cherry su macrumors 65816

cherry su

can't you get an emulator to run those programs?

21. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Yeah, there's some confusion here still, I think...

1) Classic was only available on PPC-based Macs. It isn't featured on any Intel Mac regardless of the OS version with which the Mac shipped. On any Intel Mac, you have to use some workaround like Sheepsaver. This issue has nothing to do with Leopard.

2) Essentially ever since OS X came out at a minimum, Macs have only been able to run on the version of OS X they were shipped with and higher versions. This has nothing to do with the Intel transition -- it was true for G4s and G5s and so on as well. One can make all kinds of arguments about why this is silly, and how 10.4.11 came out after 10.5.0, and it is still true that this is the way OS X is written, and Apple has chosen not to make legacy versions of OS X available on new hardware.

As Blue said, I think your best option is to find a way to not need Classic apps (if you're indeed talking about Classic apps, since you can't be running a Classic app in the "Classic" environment provided by Apple on your Macbook, since it didn't have that anymore than your MBP does). That failing, you'd have to do something like Sheepsaver....

22. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

The original Intel Macs running Tiger were running Intel chipsets.

New new Macs run Nvidia chipsets, so it is more than just the GPUs not being recognized. More like Tiger being confused about the entire machine.