Running 10.9.4 but can't update?

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by iyamayam, Jun 27, 2017.

1. iyamayam macrumors newbie

iyamayam

I go to App store and it tells me to get x.9.5 but won't. I ask to get Sierra and it says is can't and when I ask why it shoots me to a page about getting Mavericks which I already have.

Mac Pro 3,1

thanks for any hep! :)

2. CoastalOR macrumors 68000

CoastalOR

3. iyamayam thread starter macrumors newbie

iyamayam

Thanks! Can you find a direct download for the El Capitan .dmg? I tried through the App Store and it wants me to login. Fine. But when I do it asks for me to enter the verification code it sends to my phone, which I get, but it doesn't give me space to enter it on my Mac Pro on the App Store so it think s I am entering it incorrectly. Now it says something about having to recover my password but it would be easier if I could just get the .dmg.

Also, maybe you can help with this upgrade scenario. I have a Mac Pro and it has a 350gb hdd and a 500gb hdd. the 350 is my install drive and the 500 is totally empty. I used Carbon Copy to copy my install onto the 350 because the 350 is showing signs of death, making sounds. How do I know that I'm booting onto the now copied 500gb hdd. Can I "block off" access to the 350 without going into my case and pulling it out? Thanks!

4. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204915:
    --- Post Merged, Jun 28, 2017 ---
    If you don't want to physically remove the backup drive, the best you can do is name it to something different (if it isn't already), and make sure the primary drive is selected in System Preferences > Startup Disk.

5. CoastalOR macrumors 68000

CoastalOR

There is no direct dmg download link for the full El Capitan installers. A full OS installer was never distributed in the dmg format from Apple (only upgrades to the current installed OS were distributed via a dmg). They only distributed full OS installers from the App Store as a installer app to the Applications folder.