Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sampadan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 23, 2008
London
Hi all,

This might be a dumb question but I'm wondering if it's possible to run two identical spec MBP 17's (Latest Model) together, to take advantage of both computer's power. As I've got a spare one sitting brand new in a box and I want to put it to good use!

Is there a way I can link them and use the screens as a dual screen system, using the power from both?

Thoughts please!

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
In general no.

In some very specific applications that use XGrid then you can distribute some tasks from one to the other but you still don't get both screens.

dragonmantek

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2007
New York
I remember reading an article a while back involving mac mini's. They hooked up something like 500 mac mini's together and formed a giant computer. I think it would be easier to do with a mac mini though, macbook's in general are very tight and i don't think there's any free ports from the motherboard.

Sorry I don't have the link to the article, it was almost 2 years ago.

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2010
Terra
Using XGrid and a gigabit ethernet connection you could share tasks pretty well. You're sunk with the screen thing, though. Just get and external monitor if you need more screen space.

Jaro65

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2009
Seattle, WA
I remember reading an article a while back involving mac mini's. They hooked up something like 500 mac mini's together and formed a giant computer. I think it would be easier to do with a mac mini though, macbook's in general are very tight and i don't think there's any free ports from the motherboard.

Sorry I don't have the link to the article, it was almost 2 years ago.

I remember reading about that also just a few months ago. It was some kind of data processing center, from what I recall. They were very impressed with how efficient Mac Minis were. I can't recall the source though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.