Running 2 MBP's in parallel ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Sampadan, Feb 2, 2010.

1. Sampadan macrumors newbie

Sampadan

Hi all,

This might be a dumb question but I'm wondering if it's possible to run two identical spec MBP 17's (Latest Model) together, to take advantage of both computer's power. As I've got a spare one sitting brand new in a box and I want to put it to good use!

Is there a way I can link them and use the screens as a dual screen system, using the power from both?

Thoughts please!

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

In general no.

In some very specific applications that use XGrid then you can distribute some tasks from one to the other but you still don't get both screens.

3. King Mook Mook macrumors 6502

I don't think I have ever heard of a way that would be possible. Probably because you would need a very high speed connection, higher then USB/ExpressCard and if you didn't it would be a big bottleneck. But if someone could prove me wrong, I would certainly be interested.

King Mook Mook

4. dragonmantek macrumors regular

dragonmantek

I remember reading an article a while back involving mac mini's. They hooked up something like 500 mac mini's together and formed a giant computer. I think it would be easier to do with a mac mini though, macbook's in general are very tight and i don't think there's any free ports from the motherboard.

Sorry I don't have the link to the article, it was almost 2 years ago.

5. sml12 macrumors newbie

6. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

Using XGrid and a gigabit ethernet connection you could share tasks pretty well. You're sunk with the screen thing, though. Just get and external monitor if you need more screen space.

7. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

I remember reading about that also just a few months ago. It was some kind of data processing center, from what I recall. They were very impressed with how efficient Mac Minis were. I can't recall the source though.