Running 64 bit Windows 7 on Unsupported MacBook

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Yaris, Jul 8, 2010.

1. Yaris macrumors regular

I bought 64 bit Windows 7 with the student discount so I got a upgrade disk for a lower price. I think they let me choose between 64 bit and 32, so I chose 64 bit, but I believe the disk only lets me install 64 bit and not 32. The only problem is that when I insert the Snow Leopard DVD in Windows it tells me that the particular model is unsupported. I am gathering that my Late 2008 MacBook is not supported for 64 bit boot camp. I found the driver for the 9400M but I can't find the rest of the drivers for the keyboard, etc. Is there a way to get full hardware support for this MacBook? If I acquire a 32 bit installation, can I use the same product key?

2. aarond12 macrumors 65816

aarond12

Unfortunately, you're on your own when it comes to 64-bit device drivers at the moment. Your computer should work fine, with the exception that things like your volume keys won't function as expected.

What's amazing is that Windows-only PCs have to deal with this all the time without the benefit of BootCamp drivers already collected for them. :cool:

-Aaron-

3. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

4. Confuzzeled23 macrumors regular

How is this? Every Windows PC I've bought all the drivers are already installed or come on a CD with the computer...

Anyway:
    Open the CD drive
    Navigate through to Bootcamp>Drivers>Apple
    Find Bootcamp x64
    Right Click and Run as Administrator - OR Compatibility issues.
    Then run the program.

**Just noticed the post above tells you how to do this!
    Hope it works for you :)

5. Yaris thread starter macrumors regular

Awesome!

Thanks guys so much, it actually worked. I don't understand why Apple won't allow older unibody MacBooks to install 64 bit officially :rolleyes: