Resolved Running a burned DVD from Mac Pro to MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by JordanSimpson, Jun 18, 2013.

1. JordanSimpson, Jun 18, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2013

JordanSimpson macrumors newbie

Mac Pro Specifications:
    Name: Mac Pro (Mid 2012)
    Processor: 3.33 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon
    Memory: 32 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC
    Graphics: ATI Radeon HD 5770 1024 MB
    Software: OS X 10.8.3 (12D78)

MacBook Pro Specifications:
    Machine Model: MacBookPro5,5
    Name: MacBook Pro (Mid 2009)
    ModelCode: mbp_13_mid_09
    Family name: A1278
    Model Number: MB990
    Generation: 8
    CPU speed: 2.26GHz
    Screen size: 13 inch

I can't give my MacBook Pro specifications because I currently don't have OS X on it. I'm trying to burn a OS X DVD from my Mac Pro. When I try to boot it on my MacBook, it doesn't show up in the boot manager area. I checked the disk on my Linux Partition and it says it's a blank disc. So I tried booting it on my Mac Pro and it boots fine? I've had this problem for as long as I can remember. If I burn the OS to a DVD from my MacBook then it's fine but any other computer then it shows up as a blank disc. I could just burn a new DVD from my linux machine on my MacBook but this method is just eating away all my DVD's. I'm currently using DVD+R's, but this problem occurs with other DVD's, also.

EDIT: By the way, I'm using Apple's Disk Utility for burning.

2. Bear macrumors G3

It sounds like one of your computers has an issue with the DVD drive. Have you tried a DVD-R?

I think the best solution would be for you to use a USB Thumb Drive or an SD card. Remember to set the partition type to GUID if you decide to go this method.

3. pastrychef, Jun 18, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2013

pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

First, keep in mind that Mac OS X install discs that are included with computers are specific to the computer models they are shipped with. That means, the discs that came with your Mac Pro will most likely not work on your MacBook Pro.

Second, I agree with Bear. Sounds like one of the DVD drives may be a bit flakey and it's probably advisable to try creating a bootable flash drive to install Mac OS X on your MacBook Pro.

If you have purchased Mountain Lion from the AppStore, you can follow these instructions to make a bootable flash drive.

Good luck.

4. JordanSimpson thread starter macrumors newbie

It's definitely my MacBook's DVD drive. Nothing I can really do except pastrychef flash drive idea. Thanks everyone.