Running A Duplicated App

Discussion in 'macOS' started by steiney, Aug 5, 2015.

1. steiney macrumors 6502

Hello all,

I've just spent an hour or so googling for a solution to a question I have, with no luck. I really like SSBs (single site browsers) for running web apps like Google Calendar and making it feel like it's an app on my machine instead of a tab in my web browser. I use Fluid to accomplish this task but it doesn't seem to have kept up with the times in terms of browser advancements so I'm unable to run really modern web apps like Google Drive without being served an outdated version due to lack of support in my browser. However, (obviously) all these web apps run perfectly in Google Chrome.

So, my question is, is it possible to duplicate a copy of the Chrome app on my machine, rename it something else, launch it and let it create the files/directories it needs and then I have an SSB, effectively? Or will that definitely not work for some specific reason?

I'm a little lacking on education in this department so any help is appreciated!

2. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

You could try any other browser...Opera, Firefox, etc.

For an alternate Chrome you could download Google Chrome Canary.

3. steiney thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks BrianBauhn! I could certainly accomplish the goal once with a different browser but I want to be able to make as many independent apps as I want from the original app. That method limits me to the handful of modern browsers that currently exist.

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I don't know if it will still work, but I found a post here by F Lekschas (middle of page) that shows how to do what you want.

5. steiney thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you very much! That looks like it would probably work, but in the meantime I found an article that accomplishes the goal via an app someone created, so I don't have to mess with the terminal (hehe, lazy me). It's the same article that BrianBaughn linked to in his second response (also, right below here where I quoted him).

Yes! Thank you so much for digging that up! I actually found the same link via googling "best site specific browser 2015", but I appreciate you finding it for me as well.