Running a game off an external HD using a MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by marclapierre13, Nov 12, 2007.

1. marclapierre13 macrumors 6502a

marclapierre13

On my MBP, I have partitioned my HD, so that windows has 26 gb (20gb left after installing OS XP)

I think it would fill up quite fast, so Im wondering if there is a way I can intall a game onto the hard drive, and then play it off of that. I would have the original disk and everything of course.

2. admiraldennis macrumors regular

The vast majority of Mac OS X games are completely contained within their specific folders.

You should be able to select your external drive during installation. If not, moving the folder over shouldn't cause any problems.

In conclusion: yes, this will work fine.

3. marclapierre13 thread starter macrumors 6502a

marclapierre13

Tnxs.

Im talking about running window games off an external HD though.

4. marclapierre13 thread starter macrumors 6502a

marclapierre13

5. marclapierre13 thread starter macrumors 6502a

marclapierre13

cmon guys. I cant believe a thread asking about how to clean the keyboard keys got more replies than this thread.

6. byttle macrumors member

byttle

i asked the same question in a previous thread, the answer was that it depends on the speed of the drive as well as the connection type...i know esata would do wonders for external gaming...but no one could ever tell me if firewire 800 would do just as good..hows that for an answer? lol

7. marclapierre13 thread starter macrumors 6502a

marclapierre13

Interesting. Well the HD that im thinking about getting is one of the WD Passport hard drives. So I hope it works. I guess the only way is to try it. Ill throw a crappy game on, and try to install it there.

8. ShortCutMan macrumors member

If you have a decent external hard drive, it shouldn't be a problem. My cousin used to do it off a cheap slow one and it worked fine. You may drop a couple of FPS and loading time may increase but it is nothing that will ruin the game for you.

9. slowpoke macrumors member

slowpoke

I run Oblivion off a WD Passport and it gives me a pretty solid 40-50fps.

10. marclapierre13 thread starter macrumors 6502a

marclapierre13

I installed Hitman Bloodmoney on my WD My book and when I tried to play it, it said

11. marclapierre13 thread starter macrumors 6502a

marclapierre13

Update: I just installed Hitman BM on my partition, and it said the same thng HDV125 or something, component not found. so i dunno wtf.

12. admiraldennis macrumors regular

Framerate and drive speed have absolutely no correlation.

You certainly do not need FireWire 800 or a blazingly fast drive in order to play games -- the only difference drive speed makes is with loading, not with gameplay.

13. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

I run all my Windows games over an external USB disk and it makes no difference whatsoever. Have you ever played a game that needed disk access? Answer is if you have, you need more RAM.

Games tend to take a longer time 'loading' into areas and starting new games because they load information into memory :)

14. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

I'd use firewire over USB. I run it off a no-name "metal gear box" external i bought for this old 120 i had lying around. Runs fine in windows, I run TF2, Bioshock, C&C, CoH, and many others without issues.

you're just bottlenecking data performance with USB. FW800 is ridiculously fast.

15. marclapierre13 thread starter macrumors 6502a

marclapierre13

I want to get a WD passport, for portability. But how come my Hitman Blood money game wont work??
    Other games will work right?

PS:I think Starcraft is the only game I can think of that reads some data off of the disc.

16. hakuryuu macrumors 6502

I know people who used to run games off their ipod(at least I think it was an ipod, not sure if they have space you can dedicate to storage as i've never had one). It wasn't great but it worked.

17. marclapierre13 thread starter macrumors 6502a

marclapierre13

does any one know why this wont work?

18. McKillaG. macrumors newbie

I installed san andreas on my iPod(using it as a file holder or storage device) instead of the program files, and i installed a no-cd crack and i play san andreas off my iPod on my MacBook, i tried it on my friends pc and laptop and it worked on those too.:):apple: 