Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fuzzy14

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 19, 2006
Renfrew, Scotland
Short problem: my iPhone 3 (not GS) won’t activate or talk to my iMac G3 running iTunes 8.2 on Tiger 10.4.11, although I reckon it should (“this iPhone requires iTunes 9.2”)

More details: I’m away on business a lot, so I’ve rented another house and moved in my old year 2000 graphite slot loading G3 iMac running the last system available to it, Tiger 10.4.11. I’ve got a MacBook back home which the wife uses. I bought an iPhone 4 but realised that it won’t run on the old girl, so I gave it to the wife and took her old iPhone 3 (not the GS) which is running iOS 4.0.2. I wiped it, bought a new SIM card (Tesco rolling contract) then plugged it into the iMac but get the error message “this iPhone requires iTunes 9.2”. I can’t download iTunes 9 as it requires an Intel processor.

According to this iTunes version history, it should work.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ITunes_version_history

Do I need to roll back the iOS or firmware? Do I need to jailbreak the phone? How is this done on a wiped phone that hasn’t been activated.

Ta much for any suggestions.

dZp

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2006
I can’t download iTunes 9 as it requires an Intel processor.
iTunes 9.2.x is Universal (PPC + Intel). It's your G3 processor that is not up to scratch for it.
iTunes 9.2.1 requirements

Hardware:
• Mac computer with an Intel, PowerPC G5 or G4 processor

Fuzzy14

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 19, 2006
Renfrew, Scotland
OK, but an iPhone 3 should still work with iTunes 8.2

And anybody with a PC from a similar age running Windows XP would be able to use it.

I've done a quick search, it looks like I may be able to get iTunes 9 for my G3 although it isn't supported so I'll try that tonight.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.