Running a Lion VM made in VMware Fusion 4 on VMware Workstation 8

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Yebubbleman, Jan 26, 2012.

1. Yebubbleman macrumors 68030

Yebubbleman

As the title of my posting suggests, I'm trying to create a Virtual Machine of Mac OS X 10.7 Lion on VMware Fusion 4 on my Mac mini and then take the files that comprise that VM and use them to run that same VM on my more powerful PC Tower running VMware Workstation 8. I feel like I can't be the only one trying to figure out how to do this. Anyone been around the block and want to show me some pointers for this? Any help would be much appreciated.

2. droo macrumors member

The only thing you could try is ...

http://www.vmware.com/products/converter/

3. Kebabselector macrumors 68030

Kebabselector

I thought Apple based VM's could only be run on Apple hardware - I don't think there's a legal way around this.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Check out the forums at insanelymac.com to see how to do this. Its not that difficult to get it running.

Its against apple's EULA, but that does not make it illegal, i.e., police will come to arrest you.

5. Yebubbleman thread starter macrumors 68030

Yebubbleman

I'm not sure that'd work with an existing Lion system in the same way that it does with existing Windows systems.

I did and the only thing I found involved running an unlocker utility which meant that I couldn't apply updates, which wouldn't be a problem for me in practice, though the version that I downloaded from VMware is 8.0.2, and I think all of the unlockers want 8.0.0 or 8.0.1. What I'm looking for is a way to either transfer a machine created in Fusion over to Workstation as I'm assuming that any other means of doing the fresh install from a Workstation-made VM requires the unlocker.