running a .net 3.0 web service on a mac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by .mark., Jan 14, 2008.

1. .mark. macrumors 6502

I am starting my dissertation for a masters in advanced software engineering and I have chosen to have make use of some .net3.0 technologies such as WWF, WCF etc.

I have a macbook pro with vista installed via bootcamp.

I need to be able to have the web services running and also have access to osx for developing other layers. Obviously bootcamp is of no use as it's either vista or osx. Can parallels or vmfusion do what I need? If I'm running vista using one of these methods, can I access a web service running in vista from mac osx? Does windows get it's own ip address? or is this accessed through ports?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

2. WildPalms macrumors 6502a

WildPalms

VMware Fusion and Parallels both would allow what you ask for. If you are looking to replicate a dev environment, dont run Vista. Either use Windows 2003 server or Windows XP. You can have the client OS (Windows) get an ip directly, via NAT or share the host IP. You can also snapshot and rollback when testing changes.

In short, yes, Windows can get its own IP address.

3. .mark. thread starter macrumors 6502

great - would you recommend either one given my use as described earlier?

can you expand on this? the reasons I want to run vista are
    1) I want to use the .net3.0 technologies which came out for vista - I know it is possible to setup the framework on xp but I don't see why this would be advantageous.
    2) I have a copy of vista!

could you also expand on this please.

thanks for all your help - i thought i might need to buy another computer for this!

4. WildPalms macrumors 6502a

WildPalms

VMware Fusion

Hope this helps