Running a new Mac Mini

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by doublep, Nov 3, 2012.

1. doublep macrumors newbie

I am thinking of buying a newly released 2012 Mac Mini Server to replace a Mac Mini from 2011 running OS X Mountain Lion 10.8.2.
    Does anyone know if I can just swap the 2 SSD drives (System + Data) from the old machine into the new one ? Would the newer Mini just run on the same Boot System disk as the old one ?
    Thanks!

2. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Fishrrman

"Does anyone know if I can just swap the 2 SSD drives (System + Data) from the old machine into the new one?"

Yes, you could probably do this. Of course, if anything breaks during the swap, you'll be left holding the bag as well as the drives...
    (Aside: if it was me, I'd probably take the SSD drives out of the old one, but use them with an external dock or enclosure for a while, before I'd pry open the brand-new Mini)

"Would the newer Mini just run on the same Boot System disk as the old one?"

I very much doubt it. If I understand correctly, the new Mini requires a new version of the software (which is included with the Mini but may not yet be available on Apple's web site).