Running an app that doesn't work in latest OSX

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Macbaby4911, May 15, 2014.

1. Macbaby4911, May 15, 2014
    Last edited: May 15, 2014

Macbaby4911 macrumors newbie

Hi, I have an app that doesn't work in OSX Mavericks, and the developers aren't working on the app anymore.

From the crash log and google searching, I've found that a lib compiled in the app needs to be updated in order to work on Mavericks, but again,the developer isn't working on it anymore. I have no other option but to find a workaround. Are there any ways to get an app to run in a version of OSX that it can't run in? I know about VMs, but that's not an option for us.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You are limited to running an older version of the OS in a VM, there's really no way around this. The app won't run because of changes to the OS and the app needs to be modified, if the developer is unable or unwilling, then you're out of luck

3. Crichton333 macrumors 6502

Crichton333

What was the original OS it ran on and whats the lib that needs updating.

With no info we can only say go for a VM or an emulator.

4. Macbaby4911 thread starter macrumors newbie

It ran in all OSX versions before Mavericks, at least as far as I know. The program crashes in wxString which seems to come from wxWebkit. I googled wxWebkit and found on the developer site that it had been crashing in Mavericks.

5. Macbaby4911 thread starter macrumors newbie

Is there perhaps some kind of sandbox I can run it in to get it to work?

6. ScoobyMcDoo macrumors 65816

Is this an open source project? If so, maybe you can offer the developers some cash, or contract to someone else to port the software.

7. Macbaby4911 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the suggestion, it's not open source. I've tried to contact the developers without success.

8. Crichton333 macrumors 6502

Crichton333

A Virtual Machine is a sandbox, you just have in a window like any other app. Thats why Microsoft had a VM of Windows XP in new Windows so people can run their old applications in the future without any problems. Similar can be said for the new MacOS, just run your old app in any old OS you need virtually.