Running an EXE File on a mac

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by vital360, Apr 11, 2008.

1. vital360 macrumors newbie

Hey, My Friend gave me his 10.3.9 Mac, But i can't run exe files on it. Ive tried everything. I need a free program that doesnt require the XP disk.

Thanks,
    -Vital

2. vanmacguy macrumors 6502a

.exe files are Windows files and will not run on a Mac.

It just won't happen.

3. Dustman macrumors 65816

Dustman

First of all, .EXE means "Windows Executable File" which.. means it wont run on mac, UNLESS you have an Intel mac with Crossover office installed, but since you have 10.3.9 installed it means you have a powerpc mac. So, your SOL. Find mac alternatives. Theres not one program out there that doesnt have a mac equivilent[1], dispite what some will tell you. For example, You can't run Windows Live Messenger on a mac, however, you can download and install "Microsoft Messenger: Mac" which is, give or take (mostly the latter) WLM.

4. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

What is it you're trying to run? Perhaps we can offer some Mac-native alternatives.

5. vital360 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm Trying to run Ulead Video Studio by corel.

6. BrownPlopz macrumors regular

It's not going to happen, because like others have already said, .exe are WINDOWS executables, so, trying to run them on a Mac would be like speaking Spanish to a Frenchman, maybe some words are similar, but in the end of the day, it ain't gonna work. I mean, I'm pretty sure there's something called 'File Juicer' (or something like that), that can extract .exe files, but, that's just extracting, not running, and I'm not even sure if it works on the PPC models, so, as others have said, find the Mac equivalent, which you'll 98% of the time be able to find.

7. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

You can't. Use iMovie and iDVD instead.

--Eric

8. vital360 thread starter macrumors newbie

I wish, I have no idea why, but my iMovie doesn't have any effects.

9. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Hmm, it sounds like iLife may not be installed properly. Try reinstalling it and see what happens.

The only semi-feasible way to run Windows apps on a PowerPC system is with Virtual PC, but it's very very slow so you should only use it if you really need to. Plus it requires a copy of Windows (preferably 2000).

10. vital360 thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't have the ilife cd it came like this when my friend gave it to me.

11. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

EDIT NVM. I definitely wound;t want to run video stuff in VPC or worse still Q.

B

12. vital360 thread starter macrumors newbie

I have Q.

13. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

It's slow as molasses, so you might be better off buying a dirt cheap used PC if you are actually planning to do video work with that app.

B

14. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Dude, if you use Virtual PC might as well draw every frame by hand. It is absolutely un-usable. Even with Windows 95.

15. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

So true. Buy a cheap PC or something.