Running an exe file on OS X???

Discussion in 'macOS' started by caspergomez, Oct 5, 2009.

1. caspergomez macrumors newbie

I'm new to owning a Macbook and I want to download a program. Under windows I used to download the exe. file and then it would just pop up "RUN" and hey presto.

However when I do it on my macbook I just seem to be going round in circles. I get the exe file, try to open it uop and it just pops up Finder. I tried to use The Unarchiver but nothing seems to happen

sorry if this is a simple one but I'm stuck and still trying to find my feet

please help as I dont want to go back to windows

2. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

exe files do not work on OSX. (They are generally windows programs only)
    The only way you would be able to run the program would be run a virtual machine or use bootcamp.

Whats the program you want to install?

3. johnhw macrumors 6502

crossover can do it, although you have to reinstall it so it could "bottle" it on the progeam

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

exe programs are windows executable programs. You're running OSX now, so there's no "native" way to execute a windows program.

If you must run a certain program you can use vmware fusion, but that's a virtual solution, in that you'll need to install a copy of windows. Bootcamp is another option, but instead of leveraging virtualization, you boot into windows. thirds solution is WINE and Crossover which some people have success. This provides the libraries/APIs to run some EXEs.

5. old-wiz macrumors G3

And you need an Intel mac (plus windows) to run the exe unless you want to fool around with messy emulators that don't always work.

6. Dan73 macrumors 6502a

The same way you wouldn't put regular fuel in a diesel engine, EXEs don't work on Mac's.