Running An Leopard OS X on iMac

Discussion in 'macOS' started by MrOddawson, May 23, 2012.

1. MrOddawson macrumors newbie

My friend recently gave me an unused MacBook Mac OS X Leopard Install disk, will it upgrade my iMac running on Tiger? The disk has a white edge and the rest is grey. Is there anyway possible to install this copy of Leopard on my iMac?

iMac spec: 1.25 gighertz, Leopard 10.3.9,

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

No. A simple search would reveal that grey restore discs only work with the model they ship with.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The gray disks are tied to each machine, that is iMac install disks only work on iMacs and MBP install disks only work on MBP etc.

Look at ebay for your model's install disks if you want, or ebay for the retail version of OSX which isn't tied to a particular machine.

4. Drew017 macrumors 65816

Drew017

Probably won't, but I'm sure there is some kind of hack...

10.3.9 is panther... 10.5.8 is Leopard.

5. Dustman macrumors 65816

Dustman

Won't work even with a hack, if you were able to find one in the first place. Macbooks are intel, you're iMac is a PPC G4. Where it's a grey install disk, it's probably intel binary being tied to an intel machine and all. Also, you won't find any grey 'restore' CDs for a G4 iMac containing 10.5 Leopard because the iMac G4 was before the time of Leopard. So, your option for upgrading would be a 1st hand or 2nd hand Retail DVD with the actual Leopard depicted on the disk itself.

6. Drew017 macrumors 65816

Drew017

Ah yea... I didn't see that it was a G4! I guess that won't work...

If I were you I may not even bother to install Leopard on that machine, because it may not run too fast.

7. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

There's no picture of a leopard on the DVD; it's a purple and black disk with a black X.

8. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

A simple search would reveal that you publish nonsense. Btw:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=371302

Works also for SL grey installation disks (with a few changes). Read the entire thread (see above)!

9. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I'll be sure to read all 16 pages of that thread. :rolleyes: If you're going to try and provide some useful information, try at least making your case with a link to something that directly supports your statements. The OP clearly isn't going to dig through all of that.