Running and recovery periods.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by maflynn, May 29, 2014.

1. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Any runners here?

I'm an avid runner and I usually don't take too many days off for recovery periods. Some days I can do back to back long (long for me) runs and I tend to use my short 3 mile runs as my so called recovery periods. I know other runners who have to take days off. I'm usually pretty good running 3 to to 5 days straight (depending on my other physical training I do).

http://www.runnersworld.com/running-tips/the-uncomfortable-truth-about-recovery

Thoughts on recovery periods?

2. smithrh macrumors 68020

smithrh

My mileage went up and my aches and pains went down when I started running every other day.

I used to run longer on sat/sun (as I had more time on those days) and did shorter runs Tu/Wed/Th.

My orthropod told me after a rash of medium injuries that I was doing myself no favors at all with my running pattern. After a meniscus tear, he told me I could only run every other day during the latter stages of healing, and I found it to be so agreeable I've kept doing it that way.

This actually saves time, even though I'm running for longer - there are fixed costs for each workout, such as getting to the gym in winter, changing, showering, etc.

So, instead of running a total of say 180 minutes a week, I'm running 220-260 minutes a week, but spending about the same end-to-end time as before, plus I get recovery days where I don't have to worry about running at all, schedule-wise.

Edited to add: The guy who wrote that article may just be a freak of nature, keep that in mind. Anyone who can run 50 marathons in 50 days ain't normal.

Either that, or once you get to high levels of fitness, recovery needs become less. I can actually believe that could be true, less willing to test it personally.

3. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

If I run anywhere, I need a longtime to recover!

4. TechGod macrumors 68040

TechGod

I like walking. But I do sometimes run around my house. Once I ran 20 times around my house, that might sound reasonable until you know how much land I have, 3acres on a decent slope:p

5. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

I ran a mile yesterday in gym class. I got my new best time of 7:04. Recovery time I needed was about 30 minutes of breathing really hard... Then I was all good again. And then I went home and did nothing so technically im still on my recovery period and probably will be for a long time.

6. NukeIT macrumors regular

I am marathoner and ironman, while recovery is important I am not always the best at observing it. I force myself to take off days to reduce injury and cross train on easy days.

Running back to back marathons is not as hard as you would think it is, once you get to that level. It's more mental then anything else. I have done doubles and triples marathons in the past. And it really boils down to taking care of your feet and making sure you eat enough.

7. maflynn thread starter Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I don't run marathons but this is me. I have to force myself not to run as well.

8. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

I think everyone's body is different. Some people need more recovery time than others.

I run Tuesday's,Thursday's and long on Saturdays, and lift on Monday and Wednesday. The Thursday runs are the hardest for me, with no recovery in there.

I would say jus tlisten to your body. You can never go wrong with rest.

9. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

Due to two surgically repaired knees, I'm on the every-other-day plan as well, with an occasional extra day off. I do about 6 miles running or between 20 and 35 miles cycling.

10. RITZFit macrumors 65816

RITZFit

There are a lot of runners in my department at work, most do 8-10 miles maybe 4 mornings out of the week and take the rest off. Personally, I do 3-3.5 miles in the morning before work (been trying to stay consistent since its getting warmer...I tried running in 0 deg weather this past winter, my lungs hated me). I usually don't run on the weekends.

I did recently have an injury on my achilles tendon when I tried to run after a long saturday of mountain biking...going down stairs sucked last week. Now getting over that after 3 days of stretches and Bengay.