Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

danedane5

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 5, 2008
I want to run apple tv on my macbook pro to download HD MOVIES onto it! PLEASE any ideas?

consumedsoul

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2008
Huh?

Apple TV is not software or service that you can 'run' on another computer (e.g. MBP) - can you clarify/elaborate on your question?

I want to run apple tv on my macbook pro to download HD MOVIES onto it! PLEASE any ideas?

danedane5

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 5, 2008
Gotcha

I just want to be able to have Itunes recognize my MacbookPro as an AppleTV so that i can download HD movies for it. Or actually run the software that AppleTV does so i can just download HD movies. Still unclear? I saw on another post that an Apple TV can run Mac OSX....I just wana do it in reverse lol.

powerbook911

macrumors 68040
Mar 15, 2005
I just want to be able to have Itunes recognize my MacbookPro as an AppleTV so that i can download HD movies for it. Or actually run the software that AppleTV does so i can just download HD movies. Still unclear? I saw on another post that an Apple TV can run Mac OSX....I just wana do it in reverse lol.

Apple TV always runs some version of OS X, and some people hack it to do other things.

However, I'm pretty sure you can't hack a Mac to make it an Apple TV.

You'll have to stick to SD rentals I'm sorry to say.

NJuul

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2006
Boston
The Apple TV connects to the iTunes movie store to rent or buy movies. If you want to do that on your mac, you can just open iTunes, go to the store, and buy or rent movies that can be watched in iTunes. What you are asking really doesn't make any sense, and no, it is not possible (and there is no point).

danedane5

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 5, 2008
Oh?

I thought there was a point..you know to download an HD movie from Itunes... Cause honestly PirateBay is good but im sick of waiting for days to downlaod a movie.

somecallmechief

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2008
hate to bicker

You're right and wrong at the same time. The AppleTV is a hardware device, but it's little more than a modified Mac Mini with an Intel based processor running a trimmed down version of OS X Tiger. All of the functionality of the AppleTV is software based. You can run the software end of AppleTV on any OS X Tiger machine. Leopard introduced major changes to FrontRow, the core technology that powers Tiger (and AppleTV). I've been looking for a way to hack Leopard's FrontRow as well, but haven't had any luck.

It is frustrating that a piece of hardware many times more expensive than an AppleTV isn't permitted by its software to perform the same basic functions. I have an iMac with Leopard that we use as a TV in our bedroom, and you simply cannot use the Apple remote and iTunes and FrontRow in any way that's conceivably as functional as you do with an AppleTV.

Let me know if your search ever bears fruit. There are many waiting for a solution just as you are.

steve67

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2009
Why is everyone acting like he is crazy for asking this? It is a legitimate question and there is a whole project surrounding this goal. Unfortunately, it is not yet Leopard compatible. ATV4Mac (http://www.macgeekblog.com/blog/archive/2008/07/10/apple-tv-21-screenshots-atv4mac-21.html) runs the Apple TV firmware inside OS X and allows access to HD movie rentals. For now it is only Tiger compatible, but maybe one day it will be updated for Leopard.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.