Running apps in Target Disk mode

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Kpoli, Feb 26, 2012.

1. Kpoli macrumors newbie

My school's film club has a pretty nice editing bay with a couple of MacPros, but they use FCP7 exclusively. Because im more oriented with Compositing and higher end systems, i want to use programs like After Effects, Maya and Smoke , but with their more powerful systems, and the ability to Quadministrate a whole room full of iMacs. Originally i thougt i could just boot into target disk mode, but i soon found out that when i ran an app of the target disk HD, it would never launch properly. Im looking for a way to make the MacPro in the editing bay boot off of my MacBookPro entirely, so i can run all my apps, and use the ultra powerful hardware, and computing cluster.

thanks,
    Kevin

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

I don't think you can boot you MBP's hard drive on the MP's hardware without removing or cloning the drive.

3. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Start the Macbook Pro up in TDM and restart the Mac Pro while holding down the Option key once the two are connected. You should see your Macbook Pro's internal hard drive as a bootable drive on the Mac Pro. Select it and boot from it. It'll be a bit slow with hard drive intensive things as FireWire isn't as fast as SATA, but it'll work.

Note: If the admin(s) of the Mac Pro put an EFI password on it, you will not be able to select your Macbook Pro's hard drive as a boot disk.