Running Apps off External HD, boot camp

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by p1ayer2, Jun 6, 2007.

1. p1ayer2 macrumors newbie

Help! I'm looking for the best partitioning and peripheral solution to run Windows games (one that requires 11GB free HD) with the following gear:

2.4Ghz 15", 160GB 7200 HD, 2GB Ram +
    LaCie d2 eSata II 320GB External HD 3Gb/s transfer rate +
    Bootcamp +
    Windows XP +
    MacDrive 7

Problems:
    1. FAT32s 4 GB file restriction rules out read-write cross-platform compatility for most games applications (HD requirements are huge).
    2. What format (?) FAT32, NTFS, HFS+ do I use for the external hard drive so I can store and play Windows applications on it (games and photoshop primarily)?
    3. Can I partition an external HD? If so, how?

IOW, where can I store these bloated applications where I can use them mobilising the whole machine's CPU, GPU capacity BUT not giving over my entire internal HD over to Windows Apps?

Please, if there's a simple solution to this problem, let me know.

I'm not a technical type and want to make my new machine as flexible as possible.

btw, I hate Windows' counter-intuitive architecture etc and want to stay out of it as much as possible.

MacDrive7 seemed to offer a solution so I'm not sure whether it makes NFTS or HFS+ readable and writable from either side of the partition.

Thanx in advance.

2. p1ayer2 thread starter macrumors newbie

found answer

Ok, so this was a stupid question and I've found the answers to all issues. :D